Mechanical design and thermal barrier/isolation

In summary, the conversation discusses a forum member's request for help with designing a mechanical device that uses an electric heating element. The member mentions needing assistance with electrical requirements and thermal isolation, and others in the forum ask for more specific details and a diagram in order to provide helpful solutions.
farshot83
I have just joined the forum so please be nice as I'm not an engineer. lol
Thank you for any and all help.

I wanted to tap the knowledge here because my brain hurts...
I'd like a better understand of how to get the answer not just the answer if possible.

I am designing a mechanical device that uses an electric heating element in solidworks.
The element to be used is by watlow with part number E1A53.
Here is the link to the pdf for details.

I need help with the electrical requirement formulas to achieve the desired temp of the element using standard household AC. (110-US) This should be straight forward to anyone with the knowledge required to figure out the formulas.

I also need help with the thermal isolation between parts in the mechanical device. The element will heat a small piece of stainless steel 316 to a temp of 725-775f. I need to prevent heat transfer to the fixture for the most part but some heat transfer is acceptable.

Thank you to all.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
Sorry about the delay in this reply, but you need to ask the right question to get the right answer.

The power required will be that needed to overcome the thermal losses of the mounting and of the attached steel.

We have no idea where to start. What is your application? You need to design a first approximation and specify clearly some of the essential conditions or requirements that must be met by the final design. If you present your problem clearly, you will get a link to an existing solution, or start a productive competitive design session.

So please post application and specifications. Attach a diagram of your first guess at a solution, we can then advise you on a solution or on stepwise improvements to meet your specification.

What is mechanical design?

Mechanical design is the process of creating a mechanical system or product using principles of engineering, physics, and mathematics. It involves designing and analyzing the components, structure, and function of the system to ensure it meets performance and safety requirements.

What is thermal barrier/isolation?

Thermal barrier/isolation refers to the use of materials or systems to prevent or reduce the transfer of heat between two different environments or components. It is commonly used in mechanical design to protect sensitive components from extreme temperatures or to improve energy efficiency.

What are the key considerations in mechanical design?

Some key considerations in mechanical design include functionality, reliability, manufacturability, cost, and safety. These factors must be carefully balanced and integrated to create a successful design.

What are common methods for thermal barrier/isolation?

Common methods for thermal barrier/isolation include insulation materials, thermal coatings, heat sinks, and thermal barriers such as air gaps or barriers made from low-conductivity materials. The specific method used will depend on the application and desired level of thermal protection.

How important is thermal barrier/isolation in mechanical design?

Thermal barrier/isolation is a critical aspect of mechanical design, especially in systems or products that are exposed to extreme temperatures or have sensitive components. It can greatly impact the performance, reliability, and longevity of the design, and should be carefully considered during the design process.