Statics: Mechanical Equilibrium

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving a weight hanging from a frame and determining the loads acting on the frame at specific points. The frame is treated as a three-force element and force diagrams are used to find the values for the forces at each point. The conversation ends with the clarification that the problem was simpler than initially thought.
teknodude
I need some help in this problem to see if my game plan is right. My answer doesn't make sense, well to me it doesn't.

A weight of 200 lb hangs from a frame of negligible weight, as shown. If the frame is in equilibrium, determine the loads acting on the frame at A and D. Use the fact that the frame acts as a three-foce element to check your answer.

-they are all pin connections
-theres a 45 45 90 degree triangle there.

First off i drew a FBD for just DB, and found that it is a two force element, so the line of action passes through the force points of application.

Then when i draw a FBD for ABC the forces at B, it is just a force pointing at a 45 degree angle. Then there's a force Ay and Ax at A and the 200 lb force acting downward at C.

the sum of the forces in the x direction

-Ax -B cos45 = 0

The sum of the force in the y direction

Ay + B sin45 - 200 lb = 0

The sum of the moments in the z direction at point A

-(6ft)(200lb) + (3ft)(Bsin45) = 0

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    11.4 KB · Views: 747
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ok i think I'm using the idea of a 2-force element wrong.

The diagram that i have there needs to be zoomed in a bit, doesn't seem to show up right cause some browsers resize it.
If you need a better diagram then i'll try to scan it this time instead of using paint.

Member DB is a two force member, that makes the analysis simple.

At A, for the force i get

0 for the x component
200 lb for the y component

anyone else get these values at point A?

no, Fax=400lb, Fay= 200N down

Answer

If anyone ever needs the solution, I'd be more than happy to help you come to it

I got it. I was making this problem more harder than it seemed :cry:

1. What is statics and mechanical equilibrium?

Statics is a branch of mechanics that studies the behavior of objects at rest or in a state of constant motion. Mechanical equilibrium refers to the balance of forces and moments acting on an object that result in a state of zero acceleration.

2. What are the three conditions for mechanical equilibrium?

The three conditions for mechanical equilibrium are:

• The sum of all forces acting on the object must be zero.
  • The sum of all moments (torques) acting on the object must be zero.
  • The center of mass of the object must remain stationary or in constant velocity.

3. How do you determine the forces acting on an object in mechanical equilibrium?

To determine the forces acting on an object in mechanical equilibrium, you must first draw a free body diagram of the object. Then, apply the three conditions of equilibrium to solve for the unknown forces using equations of motion and trigonometric functions.

4. Can an object be in mechanical equilibrium if it is moving?

Yes, an object can be in mechanical equilibrium even if it is moving at a constant velocity. As long as the sum of all forces and moments acting on the object is zero, it is considered to be in mechanical equilibrium.

5. What are some real-life examples of statics and mechanical equilibrium?

Some real-life examples of statics and mechanical equilibrium are:

• A ladder leaning against a wall.
  • A book sitting on a table.
  • A bridge supporting the weight of cars and pedestrians.
  • A crane lifting heavy objects.