What is the reason behind the limited miscibility of metals in alloys?

In summary: However, there are many alloys that have not been successfully made because of the complex and difficult to control solid-phase reactions that occur during the alloying process.Not all metals are miscible. What is the reason behind this? I read somewhere that in the liquid state they mix, but separate upon being cooled. What causes this? Is it from the density of the metals? It is dependent on the electron configuration. The density depends on atomic radius and atomic mass.
Squall94
Is it possible to make an alloy with all possible stable (non-radioactive) metals? I've googled around, and I couldn't find one, and also couldn't find a reason why it hasn't been made. If its not possible, what is the reason behind it?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Not all metals are miscible, so there are serious limitations to the alloy composition.

Besides, just because something is possible, doesn't mean there is much sense in doing it.

Squall94 said:
Is it possible to make an alloy with all possible stable (non-radioactive) metals? I've googled around, and I couldn't find one, and also couldn't find a reason why it hasn't been made. If its not possible, what is the reason behind it?
It would be possible, but impractical.

In most (if not all) alloy systems, some metals are considered impurities to be limited to ppm or less.

It is impractical because metals have widely different properties related to their electronic structure. Metals have widely varying physical properties, e.g., density, melting/boiling points, strength, etc. Liquid metals would be of little use in high strength alloys.

It was mentioned that not all metals are miscible. What is the reason behind this? I read somewhere that in the liquid state they mix, but separate upon being cooled. What causes this? Is it from the density of the metals?

Squall94 said:
It was mentioned that not all metals are miscible. What is the reason behind this? I read somewhere that in the liquid state they mix, but separate upon being cooled. What causes this? Is it from the density of the metals?
It is dependent on the electron configuration. The density depends on atomic radius and atomic mass.

http://www.webelements.com/periodicity/atomic_radius/

Elements that do not readily mix can be mixed under special conditions followed by rapid solidification. In general, such processes are proprietary or trade secret.

There are now sophisticated software tools, e.g., CALPHAD, that allow the development and understanding of various compounds and alloys.

1. What is an alloy of all stable metals?

An alloy of all stable metals is a combination of two or more metals that are in a solid state and do not react with each other. It is created by melting and mixing different metals together to form a new material with enhanced properties.

2. What are the properties of an alloy of all stable metals?

The properties of an alloy of all stable metals depend on the specific metals used in the mixture. However, in general, alloys are known to have improved strength, durability, and resistance to corrosion compared to pure metals.

3. How is an alloy of all stable metals made?

An alloy of all stable metals is made by melting the desired metals at high temperatures and then mixing them thoroughly. The mixture is then cooled and solidified, resulting in the formation of the alloy.

4. What are some common uses of an alloy of all stable metals?

An alloy of all stable metals has a wide range of uses in various industries, including construction, transportation, electronics, and manufacturing. For example, stainless steel is a popular alloy used in kitchenware and construction, while titanium alloys are used in aerospace and medical implants.

5. Can an alloy of all stable metals be recycled?

Yes, an alloy of all stable metals can be recycled by separating the different metals in the alloy and then melting them down to be used in other applications. This helps to conserve natural resources and reduce the environmental impact of metal production.