Curvilinear Motion n/t coordinates

In summary, the student attempted to solve a homework problem but failed to correctly calculate the second order time derivative of y.
aolse9

Homework Statement

Given, y2 = 9x3 + 6x, where x and y are in metres and y is positive.
What is the normal component of the acceleration when x= 3m, [tex]\dot{x}[/tex] = 7ms-1 and [tex]\ddot{x}[/tex] = 8 ms-2?

Homework Equations

V = Vxi + Vyj
Vx = [tex]\dot{x}[/tex]
Vy = [tex]\dot{y}[/tex]

a = axi + ayj
ax = [tex]\ddot{x}[/tex]
ay = [tex]\ddot{y}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I was fairly confident that my following attempt would yield the correct solution, however it did not. I still fail to see any problems with my attempt, so I thought I'd post it. Any feedback on my work would be greatly appreciated.

http://hdimage.org/images/irbxrbb7r7fgf42658at.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone have any ideas?

Hmmm... it's difficult to spot the error in your calculations, but you might have an easier time if you don't mess about with too many angles...

Everything up to and including your calculation of [itex]\theta[/itex] looks correct to me. From that point, you should be able to basically look at diagram and read off the vector expression for the unit tangent and unit normal; [itex]\textbf{T}=\cos\theta\textbf{i}+\sin\theta\textbf{j}[/itex] and [itex]\textbf{N}=\cos(\frac{\pi}{2}-\theta)\textbf{i}-\sin(\frac{\pi}{2}-\theta)\textbf{j}=\sin\theta\textbf{i}-\cos\theta\textbf{j}[/itex]...The advantage of expressing the unit normal like this is that once you calculate [itex]\textbf{a}=\ddot{x}\textbf{i}+\ddot{y}\textbf{j}[/itex], all you need to do to find its normal component is take the dot product [itex]a_N=\textbf{a}\cdot\textbf{N}[/itex].

Thanks for the reply. I have found a mistake in my calculation of a, more specifically the second order time derivative of y. I agree, when you start to work with these angles it can get a tad confusing, so I'll try your dot product suggestion. I should be on the right track now, I'll post back if I have any troubles, thanks for your help.

1. What is curvilinear motion?

Curvilinear motion refers to the movement of an object along a curved path, as opposed to a straight line. This type of motion is commonly seen in circular or elliptical orbits, as well as in objects that follow a parabolic trajectory.

2. What are n/t coordinates?

N/t coordinates, also known as normal/tangential coordinates, are a type of coordinate system used to describe curvilinear motion. The normal coordinate is perpendicular to the tangent of the curve at a given point, while the tangential coordinate is parallel to the tangent. Together, these coordinates can be used to specify the position and orientation of an object in curved motion.

3. How do n/t coordinates differ from Cartesian coordinates?

Cartesian coordinates use x and y axes to describe the position of an object in a two-dimensional space. N/t coordinates, on the other hand, use a normal and tangential axis to describe the position of an object moving along a curved path. This allows for a more accurate representation of motion in curved paths.

4. What are some applications of curvilinear motion and n/t coordinates?

Curvilinear motion and n/t coordinates are used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, and astronomy. They are essential for understanding the motion of objects in circular orbits, as well as for designing and analyzing curved structures such as roller coasters and bridges.

5. How can I calculate the velocity and acceleration of an object in curvilinear motion?

To calculate velocity and acceleration in curvilinear motion, you can use the equations for tangential and normal acceleration, which take into account the change in speed and direction of the object. You can also use vector calculus to calculate the derivatives of position to find velocity and acceleration vectors at a given point in time.