Life Under Greenland Ice Sheet?

• Thread starter dimensionless
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ice Life
In summary, according to some researchers, there is a good chance that life exists under the Antarctic ice sheet. It is likely to be in a suspended state or able to reproduce at a low rate, but it depends on the glacier.
dimensionless
What are your thoughts? Do you think there is any there? Have we already contaminated it by drilling through the ice?

Biology news on Phys.org
Considering the vast amount of life found underneath anatartic ice sheets that melted away, I would say yes, most likely there is life there. And introduction of sunlight will probably start to effect it.

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=mg18725096.100

I was imagining bacteria living in a two-dimensional world between the ice sheet and the ground. Maybe underground as well.

While I'm talking about ice sheets and Antarctica, it looks like there might be some interesting things going on underneath that ice sheet as well.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4908292.stm

iansmith said:
Most microbial life would be in a suspended state or be able to replicate at fairly low rate in temperature below the freezing point. thus it is likely that life could be found under the ice sheet.

That depends on the glacier. Some areas of ice in Greenland and Antarctica are polythermal, with basal melting occurring in some places, as well as the possibility for some input of liquid water from above.

I'd guess these places would be where to look to find life.

I guess I was hypothesizing that there would be a very thin layer of water between the ice sheet and the ground. Presumably at some depth below ground it would not be permafrost, although this is not what I was thinking of. It might still be interesting though. On the other hand, I'm not sure that biology knows that much about what it growing 1 km below ground in the tropics.

1. What is "Life Under Greenland Ice Sheet?"

"Life Under Greenland Ice Sheet" is a term used to describe the diverse ecosystem that exists beneath the thick ice sheet covering Greenland. It includes microorganisms, plants, and animals that have adapted to living in this extreme environment.

2. How can life exist under such thick ice?

Life under the Greenland Ice Sheet is made possible by a combination of factors. The ice acts as a protective barrier, shielding these organisms from harsh weather conditions and UV radiation. The ice also traps air and nutrients, creating pockets of habitable space for organisms to thrive.

3. What types of organisms can be found under the Greenland Ice Sheet?

Many different types of organisms have been found under the Greenland Ice Sheet, including bacteria, algae, fungi, and even small invertebrates such as springtails and mites. These organisms play important roles in nutrient cycling and help support the overall ecosystem.

4. How is studying life under the Greenland Ice Sheet important?

Studying life under the Greenland Ice Sheet can provide valuable insights into how organisms adapt to extreme environments and the potential for life on other icy planets or moons. It can also help us understand the effects of climate change on these delicate ecosystems and inform conservation efforts.

5. How do scientists conduct research on life under the Greenland Ice Sheet?

Scientists use a variety of techniques to study life under the Greenland Ice Sheet, including drilling into the ice to collect samples, using remote sensing technology to map the subglacial environment, and deploying specialized instruments to measure environmental conditions. They also conduct experiments in controlled laboratory settings to better understand the physiology and adaptations of these organisms.