Physics I - Final Exam - In 2wks

In summary, Greg struggled with physics in college and is now preparing for a 50 question multiple choice final exam. He recommends trying to solve problems from the textbook and practicing old final exams.
studyhard4life
Hey friends from the phyics forum... I have been recently struggling with physics I all semester... and now I am already to the Final Exam which is 50 questions - multiple choice and it is worth 50 % of my grade. Which to me is like basically passing or failing the class and having to repeat it. I just want people insight and help if any on this.. I wish I knew about this site before, I am not asking for answers, just suggestions and any help you can give me to pass the course and do well! Here is what the 50 question multiple choice - 50 % final exam is on :

Vectors & Scalars
Uniform Linear Motion
Uniform Circular Motion
Newtons Laws of Motion
Linear Momentum
Energy
Statics and Equilibrium
Fluids
Waves
Oscillations

To some of you, these topics may seem very easy, and some are, but I just have trouble taking formulas and flipping them around and using them the proper way, also our professor loves throwing in conversions and little things students can miss, so I end up getting like the biggest answers and it ends being wrong. Anything will help, I have a good 2wks to prepare, I know I can do it, sample multiple choice exams, anything guys, save ME -- I WILL WORK FOR IT - I PROMISE.

Greg

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the best way to study is solving problems from your textbook. Try to solve the easy ones first and then the hardest, if you have trouble ask your professor or to a tutor.

Basic things you should know are:-Vectors (resultant forces, magnitude and direction, components of x and y...)
- Kinematic equations (how to get all equations using integration)
- Newtons Laws
- Conservation of Energy and Momentum
- Equilibrium

Physics I is hard, I know from my own experience. In my Physics I class only 9 students (including me) finish the class, the rest give up and withdraw the course.

Well..Good Luck and start studying

Go over the solved problems in the textbook to start with - most books have a few worked example problems distributed through the chapter. If you get stuck, it's easy to see where you went wrong.

It's also worth looking to see if there are old final exams from the course that you can practice on.

In my experience with physics I, the most underrated study tactic is actually reading the chapters. It took me 2 tries to pass Physics I. I don't think you will understand how to work the problems without understand the principles behind what you are trying to accomplish. Just my experience.

bengaltiger14 said:
In my experience with physics I, the most underrated study tactic is actually reading the chapters. It took me 2 tries to pass Physics I. I don't think you will understand how to work the problems without understand the principles behind what you are trying to accomplish. Just my experience.
true that, reading is just as important as doing the problems.

lots of ppl in my class just consult their notes ... it's funny that they think that the teacher goes every single concept that they will encounter in the homework and exams.

the material is tough, but you just have to fight it! i don't understand what i read at times, but then i do the problems it begins to make sense ... and vice versa.

1. What topics should I focus on for the Physics I final exam?

It is important to review all of the topics covered in the course, but some key areas to focus on include kinematics, forces, energy, and momentum.

2. What is the best way to study for the Physics I final exam?

The best way to study for the Physics I final exam is to actively engage with the material, such as by solving practice problems and explaining concepts to yourself or others. It is also helpful to review class notes and past assignments.

3. Will there be any calculations on the Physics I final exam?

Yes, the final exam will likely include calculations that test your understanding of key concepts and equations in physics. It is important to practice solving different types of problems to prepare for these calculations.

4. Are there any resources or study materials that can help me prepare for the Physics I final exam?

Yes, there are many resources available to help you prepare for the final exam. These may include review books, online practice quizzes, study guides, and tutoring services. Your instructor may also provide study materials or review sessions.

5. Can I use a calculator on the Physics I final exam?

Most instructors allow the use of a calculator on the final exam, but it is important to check with your specific instructor to confirm their policy. If a calculator is allowed, it is usually limited to a basic scientific calculator. You should also make sure you are familiar with how to use your calculator efficiently for physics calculations.