How Do Cube Root Numbers Relate to the Fraction 1/8 in Determining Pitch?

In summary, The relationship between cube root numbers and the fraction 1/8 is that it determines the pitch of an object. If the object's volume is doubled, the pitch will also double. This applies to 3D objects like spheres and drumheads.
PH7SICS
Dose anyone know the relationship of cube root numbers and the fraction of 1/8

"Assuming a body of a size represented by X has a pitch of 1024 per second, then a pitch of 2048 (double 1024) per second will be produced by a body having a volume of some mean between 1/8 of X and the cube root of X"

I understand why a pitch double the original will be produced by a sphere 1/8 the volume because if you double the diameter of a sphere you increase its volume by eightfold.

I don't however understand the relationship between 1/8 and cube root numbers, any ideas?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The pitch depends on the radius of the sphere. Doubling the radius multiplies the volume by
2^3=8.

Is it as simple as that...haha lol, I knew 2^3 was 8 but I had assumed I was looking for something more complex, funny when you look for the complex you miss the simple.

Would this only work for spheres then?

It would also work for the frequencies of a 3D object. For a drumhead, the pitch would go like 2^2.

What is the meaning of "spheres octaves and pitch"?

Spheres, octaves, and pitch are all terms used in music theory to describe the relationship between frequencies of sound. Spheres refer to the concept of sound being produced in a spherical shape, with the listener at the center. Octaves refer to a musical interval where the frequency doubles. And pitch refers to how high or low a sound is perceived by the listener.

How are spheres, octaves, and pitch related?

Spheres, octaves, and pitch are all related in terms of frequency. As the frequency of a sound increases, it produces a higher pitch and is perceived as coming from a smaller sphere. On the other hand, as the frequency decreases, the pitch lowers and the sound is perceived as coming from a larger sphere. This relationship is known as the octave effect.

What is the significance of understanding spheres, octaves, and pitch in music?

Understanding spheres, octaves, and pitch is crucial in music as it helps musicians create harmonious and pleasing sounds. By understanding the relationship between frequencies and how they affect pitch and perceived sphere size, musicians can create melodies and harmonies that are pleasing to the ear.

How do spheres, octaves, and pitch affect our perception of music?

Spheres, octaves, and pitch greatly affect our perception of music. The pitch of a sound can evoke different emotions and moods, while the perceived sphere size can affect the overall spatial quality of the music. The use of spheres, octaves, and pitch is also important in creating a sense of balance and harmony in music.

Can spheres, octaves, and pitch be manipulated in music?

Yes, spheres, octaves, and pitch can be manipulated in music. Musicians can use various techniques such as changing the frequency of a sound, using different instruments, or adding effects to alter the pitch and perceived sphere size of the music. This allows for creativity and experimentation in music composition.