Archimedes Principle & Specific Gravity

In summary, the conversation discusses a lab dealing with Specific Gravity and Buoyancy. The equations for calculating Specific Gravity are provided and the concept of Archimedes' Principle is brought into question. It is clarified that the principle states the buoyant force is equal to the weight of the displaced fluid, not the weight of the object.
HelgaMan
I was reading a lab online and I came across one that dealt with Specific Gravity and Buoyany and stuff.. and then they had these equations:

*Note: p = density, M = mass, V = Volume, g = gravitational acceleration, W = Weight
Subscripts: S = substance, W = water

SG = pS / sW = (MS / VS) / (MW / VW) = (MSg / VS) / (MWg / VW) = (WS / VS) / (WW / VW)

and

SG = (WS / V) / (WW / V) = WS / WW = WS / (buoyant force) = WS / (loss of weight in water)
= WS / (WS - weight of substance in water)

which all makes sense to me, mathmatically.. but then i thought about this part "WS / (buoyant force)" and that kinda throws me off because isn't Archimede's Principle that weight of an object is equal to the buoyant force.. and that makes SG always 1? but I am pretty sure that's not the case, though..

well, idk, I am sure all you smart people will see something that i dont, lol. :tongue:

Physics news on Phys.org
HelgaMan said:
which all makes sense to me, mathmatically.. but then i thought about this part "WS / (buoyant force)" and that kinda throws me off because isn't Archimede's Principle that weight of an object is equal to the buoyant force.. and that makes SG always 1? but I am pretty sure that's not the case, though..
No, it's not. Archimedes' principle states that the buoyant force equals the weight of the displaced fluid, not the weight of the object. Read all about it: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/pbuoy.html#arch3"

Last edited by a moderator:
oh, okay, lol.

What is Archimedes Principle?

Archimedes Principle is a scientific law that states that the buoyant force on an object submerged in a fluid is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces.

How is Archimedes Principle used in everyday life?

Archimedes Principle can be seen in many everyday situations, such as when a ship floats on water or when a balloon rises in the air. It is also used in the design of ships, submarines, and hot air balloons.

What is specific gravity?

Specific gravity is a ratio of the density of a substance to the density of a reference substance, usually water. It is a unitless measurement and is often used to determine the purity or composition of a substance.

How is specific gravity calculated?

Specific gravity is calculated by dividing the density of a substance by the density of the reference substance. The reference substance is typically water at 4 degrees Celsius, which has a density of 1 gram per cubic centimeter.

Can Archimedes Principle and specific gravity be applied to gases?

Yes, Archimedes Principle and specific gravity can be applied to gases. However, the density of gases is affected by temperature and pressure, so the calculations may be more complex.