Vielbein Postulate: Unpacking Carroll's Derivation

• Thread starter haushofer
  • Start date
In summary, the vielbein postulate states that the covariant derivative of the vielbein is equal to the derivative of the vielbein plus the spinconnection, which is equivalent to the covariant derivative of a vector field being independent of the basis in which it is described. This implies the metric postulate, which states that the metric is covariantly constant. However, the metric postulate is a stronger condition than the vielbein postulate, as it also ensures metric compatibility. The relationship between the two postulates is often misunderstood, with many thinking that the vielbein postulate is a constraint rather than a consequence of covariance.
haushofer
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Hi,

I have a question on the vielbein postulate. By this I mean

[itex]
\nabla_{\mu}e_{\nu}^a = \partial_{\mu}e_{\nu}^a - \Gamma_{\mu\nu}^{\rho}e_{\rho}^a + \omega_{\mu}^{\ a}_{\ b}e_{\nu}^b \equiv D_{\mu}e_{\nu}^a - \Gamma_{\mu\nu}^{\rho}e_{\rho}^a = 0
[/itex]

Someone like Carrol derives this from rewriting the covariant derivative of a vector field X in a coordinate basis and a general basis, so in that sense it's a statement that the index-free object [itex]\nabla X [/itex] doesn't care about being described by a coordinate basis or a general basis, right? He explicitly says,

"Note that this is always true; we did not need to assume anything about the connection in order to derive it."

So, covariance (you have the freedom to write any tensor in any basis you like) would then automatically imply the vielbein postulate. Somehow, I don't feel comfortable with this. In GR, saying that the metric is "covariantly constant", [itex]\nabla_{\rho}g_{\mu\nu}=0[/itex], enables us to express the Levi Civita connection in terms of the metric, which I'll call the metric postulate. We can do the same thing with the vielbeins by saying that the curvature of the vielbein disappears, [itex]R_{\mu\nu}(e_{\rho}^a)=0[/itex]. But doesn't the vielbein postulate already implies the metric postulate?

So, I'm a little puzzled by the precise relation between the metric postulate and the vielbein postulate, and I'm wondering if the vielbein postulate follows from covariance. I ofcourse understand that in some sense the vielbein postulate is just a way of putting constraints on the vielbein and that antisymmetrizing this constraint gives you information about the torsion, but can someone shed a light on this?

Physics news on Phys.org
It would help if you posted some definitions and part of the derivation that you don't like. (You don't have to define the connection, covariant derivative or the Christoffel symbol, but at least explain the e and the omega, and what you meant by rewrite in a coordinate basis and a general basis).

According to to Wald (3.4.16) the antisymmetry of the Christoffel symbols implies torsion freeness, whereas the antisymmetry of the connection one-forms implies metric compatibility.

Fredrik said:
It would help if you posted some definitions and part of the derivation that you don't like. (You don't have to define the connection, covariant derivative or the Christoffel symbol, but at least explain the e and the omega, and what you meant by rewrite in a coordinate basis and a general basis).

Ah, ok, sorry. The e is the vielbein [itex]e_{\mu}^a[/itex] with inverse [itex]e^{\mu}_a[/itex] satisfying

[itex]
g_{\mu\nu} = e_{\mu}^a e_{\nu}^b \eta_{ab}
[/itex]

and the omega is the spinconnection which can be defined by

[itex]
\nabla_{\mu}X^a = \partial_{\mu}X^a + \omega_{\mu}^a_{\ b}X^b
[/itex]

By a "general basis" I ment a "non-coordinate basis",

[itex]
\hat{e}_{a} = e_a^{\mu}\partial_{\mu}
[/tex]

I'll take a look at Wald, but I think I already start to see things here. :) The point is that a lot of people seem to "postulate" the vielbein"postulate" as a constraint, but as I now see it it's really a consequence of covariance.

1. What is the Vielbein Postulate?

The Vielbein Postulate is a mathematical framework used in theoretical physics to describe the geometry of spacetime. It is based on the idea that spacetime can be described by a set of reference frames, or "vielbeins", that are tailored to the local properties of the spacetime. This postulate is often used in conjunction with Einstein's theory of general relativity to describe the curvature of spacetime.

2. Who first introduced the Vielbein Postulate?

The Vielbein Postulate was first introduced by theoretical physicist Sean Carroll in his 2004 paper "Spacetime and Geometry: An Introduction to General Relativity". Carroll developed the postulate as a way to simplify and clarify the mathematical derivation of general relativity.

3. How is Carroll's derivation of the Vielbein Postulate different from others?

Carroll's derivation of the Vielbein Postulate is unique in that it starts from the most general form of the postulate and then uses symmetry arguments to simplify it. This approach allows for a more intuitive understanding of the postulate and its role in general relativity.

4. What are the key components of Carroll's derivation of the Vielbein Postulate?

Carroll's derivation of the Vielbein Postulate involves three key components: the definition of the metric tensor, the application of local Lorentz transformations, and the assumption of diffeomorphism invariance. These components work together to derive the connection between the metric tensor and the vielbein fields.

5. How is the Vielbein Postulate used in physics?

The Vielbein Postulate is used in a variety of areas in theoretical physics, including general relativity, quantum gravity, and string theory. It is particularly useful in situations where a more detailed description of the geometry of spacetime is needed, such as in the study of black holes or the early universe. It is also used in more abstract mathematical theories, such as the theory of spinors and differential forms.