Fixing an Old TV: A Journey Through Time

• Thread starter Hyperreality
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, this old TV has a weird habit of randomly switching to TV1 and producing a click. It's possible that one of the circuit boards is shorted, and it might be worth buying a new TV.
Hyperreality
Recently, my bedroom's old TV brokedown. Although it only cost $NZ20.00, about $US10.00. I thought it would be fun to find out what's wrong with it and trying to fix it.

This TV has a very weird habit of occasionally switching to TV1 automatically, and now it does it everytime I switch my TV on, and it does at a frequency of about 1Hz, which means I can't see any image coming out! :yuck: While doing so, it constaly produces a click. I traced the sound source into case of the TV and I am pretty sure one of the circuit board is shorted.

I wonder if anyone has every experience that, or know what's wrong with it...

This TV is extremely old, but it does have color, if I were to guess the year this TV is made, it would be round about in the early 80s.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Hyperreality said:
Recently, my bedroom's old TV brokedown. Although it only cost $NZ20.00, about $US10.00. I thought it would be fun to find out what's wrong with it and trying to fix it.

This TV has a very weird habit of occasionally switching to TV1 automatically, and now it does it everytime I switch my TV on, and it does at a frequency of about 1Hz, which means I can't see any image coming out! :yuck: While doing so, it constaly produces a click. I traced the sound source into case of the TV and I am pretty sure one of the circuit board is shorted.

I wonder if anyone has every experience that, or know what's wrong with it...

This TV is extremely old, but it does have color, if I were to guess the year this TV is made, it would be round about in the early 80s.

I'm uessing a click is a relay or a capacitor. But I'm not an expert. :)

Buy a new TV ;)

Plus, prepare some money ($30) to pay for those who collect your old TV, that's a rule here, i am not sure if its the same there though...---sal-
By the way, is an extremely old TV a black-white one ?

1. How do I know if my old TV is worth fixing?

The first step in determining if your old TV is worth fixing is to assess the extent of the damage. If the issue is minor and can be easily fixed, it may be worth repairing. However, if the TV is significantly damaged or the repair costs outweigh the cost of a new TV, it may not be worth fixing. Additionally, consider the sentimental value of the TV and your personal attachment to it.

2. Can I fix my old TV myself or do I need a professional?

This depends on your level of expertise and the complexity of the issue. If you have experience with electronics and the necessary tools, you may be able to fix the TV yourself. However, if you are not familiar with TV repair or do not have the necessary tools, it is best to seek the help of a professional to avoid causing further damage.

3. How long does it typically take to fix an old TV?

The time it takes to fix an old TV can vary depending on the issue and the availability of replacement parts. In some cases, it may only take a few hours to fix, while more complex issues may take a few days or even weeks. It is best to consult with a professional for a more accurate estimate.

4. What are the most common issues with old TVs that can be fixed?

The most common issues with old TVs that can be fixed include power supply problems, broken or loose connections, and issues with the picture or sound quality. These issues can often be repaired with replacement parts or minor adjustments.

5. Is it worth upgrading an old TV instead of fixing it?

This ultimately depends on your personal preferences and budget. Upgrading an old TV can give you access to newer technology and features, but it may also be more expensive than fixing the old TV. Consider your needs and the cost of both options before making a decision.