DIY Near Space Balloon Transmitter: 60 Mile Range on a Budget

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of launching a near space balloon with a microcontroller and pressure sensor that outputs audible beeps according to height data. The main concern is finding a cheap and simple way to transmit this audio data back down to earth, with the suggestion of using a GSM chip and communicating through cell phone towers. The concept of using audible beeps is further explained, with the question of whether cell towers would be able to reach the high altitude of the balloon.
tackyattack
I am thinking about launching a near space balloon. I'm going to send up a microcontroller with a pressure sensor that outputs audible beeps according to the height data from the pressure sensor. The problem is I don't have a way to transmit this audio data back down to earth. What is the cheapest, simplest way to make a transmitter that can transmit 60 miles line-of-sight? I don't want to buy a ham radio transmitter cause those things cost $100+. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org

What's this about audible beeps? Why would you bother with audible beeps? The cheapest way might be to buy a GSM chip and communicate through cell phone towers.

Don't know how far up you think "near space" is, but if you get up as high as balloons can go, "audible" is not going to have much meaning since there won't be enough atmosphere to transmit much sound.

KingNothing said:
What's this about audible beeps? Why would you bother with audible beeps? The cheapest way might be to buy a GSM chip and communicate through cell phone towers.

By audible I mean pulses of electricity that is fed into the communicator's input, on the receiving end I hook up a speaker to communicator. The pulses make sound on the communication unit on the ground. The sound will change according to height.

What is the range of cell towers? Would It be able to reach all the way up there?

1. What materials do I need to build a near space balloon transmitter?

In order to build a near space balloon transmitter, you will need a GPS module, a radio transmitter, an antenna, a battery, a microcontroller, and a lightweight weatherproof container to hold all the components.

2. How much does it cost to build a near space balloon transmitter?

The cost of building a near space balloon transmitter can vary depending on the quality of the components and where you purchase them from. On average, it can cost anywhere from $200 to $500.

3. How do I calculate the range of my near space balloon transmitter?

The range of your near space balloon transmitter is determined by the altitude it reaches. On average, a transmitter at an altitude of 60 miles can reach a range of up to 60 miles. However, this can vary depending on weather conditions and interference.

4. Can I track my near space balloon transmitter in real-time?

Yes, you can track your near space balloon transmitter in real-time by using a ground station or by connecting the transmitter to a smartphone app. This will allow you to monitor the location, altitude, and other data in real-time.

5. Are there any regulations I need to follow when launching a near space balloon transmitter?

Yes, there are regulations that you need to follow when launching a near space balloon transmitter. These include obtaining proper permits, following safety guidelines, and adhering to airspace restrictions. It is important to research and follow all regulations before launching your transmitter.