Can You Make Plasma at Home? Tips and Safety Precautions

• Thread starter mat1101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plasma
In summary: You can make plasma using a standard ball of gas with a high voltage power supply, but if you want to do it for an science fair project, you will need to get an electrode, a vacuum pump, and some other necessary equipment. You could also try using a simple electromagnet to generate the plasma. I do not think this would be a good idea to try and win a prize with this project since it is not very practical.
mat1101
Firstly, I want to do this for a science fair project. I want to create a magnetic force field with plasma also.

Second, I would like to know how dangerous it is to make and handle.

Third, is it illegal in Canada?

Fourth how do you make plasma cheaply? What parts do I need, ect.

Thank you!

Likes Eric Pitman
Physics news on Phys.org
It is relatively easy to create plasma on a small scale.
A standard plasma ball has a vacuum of about 0.01 atmospheres of helium, neon, or other noble gas. The gas is excited by a 2-5 Kilovolt 35 KHz electrical supply.

For your project you would need something to contain the plasma and hold the gas in the vacuum, an electrode, a high voltage power supply, and applicable connecting equipment such as wires and pipes and such. You could use some simple electromagnets outside of the vacuum container to inflence the plasma.

The most dangerous issue here is the high voltage. Fortunantly you can get high voltage at a small current to reduce the hazard. I don't believe this would be illegal in Canada, as it isn't posing a hazard to anyone other than yourself if you screw up.

It seems that you don't know too much about electricity and the associated hazards, so I HIGHLY recommend getting an adult to assist you. Also rememer that this would NOT be a simple project. You will be required to learn and understand many concepts you probably wouldn't learn and apply them appropriately. You would also have to acquire parts. While you can buy used parts for relatively cheaply, if you don't know what you are doing you could be getting bad parts that pose a hazard.

Likes Eric Pitman
Thank you!

Drakkith said:
It is relatively easy to create plasma on a small scale.
A standard plasma ball has a vacuum of about 0.01 atmospheres of helium, neon, or other noble gas. The gas is excited by a 2-5 Kilovolt 35 KHz electrical supply.

For your project you would need something to contain the plasma and hold the gas in the vacuum, an electrode, a high voltage power supply, and applicable connecting equipment such as wires and pipes and such. You could use some simple electromagnets outside of the vacuum container to inflence the plasma.

The most dangerous issue here is the high voltage. Fortunantly you can get high voltage at a small current to reduce the hazard. I don't believe this would be illegal in Canada, as it isn't posing a hazard to anyone other than yourself if you screw up.

It seems that you don't know too much about electricity and the associated hazards, so I HIGHLY recommend getting an adult to assist you. Also rememer that this would NOT be a simple project. You will be required to learn and understand many concepts you probably wouldn't learn and apply them appropriately. You would also have to acquire parts. While you can buy used parts for relatively cheaply, if you don't know what you are doing you could be getting bad parts that pose a hazard.

Actually, I did this in high school with air, the vacuum achievable by a good water aspirator, and a big capacitor with flat copper connections apply a sudden voltage. Plasma existed and flashed only for a moment with this set up. I wasn't trying to maintain or control the plasma - just see a flash as it got created in a tube.

Well i need it long enough to survive for as long as i like ;D
what i am trying to achieve is a magnetic force field to hold the metal, then with a flip of the switch, plasma melts the metal.

Also would you think that this science fair idea has some merit to win a prize like a scholarship or something?

Hrmm. I think melting a plate with plasma is a bit different than simply creating plasma. Your best bet would be a plasma cutter, but that is way more difficult. Also, a magnetic field cannot hold uncharged metal. You would not be able to keep it in place.

Generating a plasma does not ensure at all that you can melt metal with it.
The plasma in a fluorescent tube does not seem to melt the glass of the tube.
And this is an easy way to make plasma. It's legal in Canada, they sell the tubes in all hardware stores.

Well I want to make plasma that is able to melt metal, like the high voltage and high temperature kind.

1. What is plasma?

Plasma is the fourth state of matter, consisting of a gas-like mixture of positively and negatively charged particles. It is often referred to as the "fourth state of matter" because it is distinct from the other three states: solid, liquid, and gas.

2. How is plasma created?

Plasma can be created by heating a gas to extremely high temperatures, causing the atoms to lose their electrons and become positively charged ions. This can also be achieved by applying a strong electric field to a gas, causing the particles to ionize.

3. What are some examples of plasma in nature?

Plasma is commonly found in stars and other astronomical bodies, such as the sun. It also makes up a large percentage of the matter in the universe. On Earth, plasma can be found in lightning bolts, neon lights, and plasma televisions.

4. How is plasma used in technology?

Plasma has many practical applications in technology, such as in plasma cutting and welding, which use ionized gas to cut and join metals. It is also used in plasma TVs and fluorescent lights, where an electric current is passed through a gas to create light.

5. What are the potential future uses of plasma?

Scientists are currently exploring potential uses of plasma in fields such as medicine, agriculture, and energy production. Plasma can be used to sterilize medical equipment, improve crop growth, and possibly even generate clean energy through controlled fusion reactions.