Can the Matrix Element of a+a^+ be Suppressed in Resonance Raman Measurements?

In summary: You can use any intensity you like as long as the relative intensity of the lines remains the same.In summary, this conversation is about Hamiltonian and exciton wave function of electron-photon. Exciton wave function is defined as |\Psi^f\rangle=\sum_k Z^n_{k_{c},k_v}c^+_{k_{c}}c_{k_v}|0\rangle ftime Z is weighting coefficient, kc is electron state (conduction band), kv is hole state (valence band), and |0\rangle is ground state (all electrons occupy valence) band. The matrix element of exciton-ph
hesky
Please help me, I need to derive exciton-photon interaction.
Here, we are using second quantization. Please refer to this paper http://prb.aps.org/abstract/PRB/v75/i3/e035405
Hamiltonian of electron-photon is
[itex]H_{el-op}=\sum_k D_k c^+_{kc}c_{kv}(a+a^+)[/itex]

[itex]c^+_{kc}c_{kv}[/itex] are creation of electron to conduction band and annihilation electron in valence band, respectively. [itex](a+a^+)[/itex] are photon annihilation and creation operator.
Exciton wave function is
[itex] |\Psi^f\rangle=\sum_k Z^n_{k_{c},k_v}c^+_{k_{c}}c_{k_v}|0\rangle [/itex]
Where Z is weighting coefficient, kc is electron state (conduction band), kv is hole state (valence band), and [itex]|0\rangle [/itex] is ground state (all electrons occupy valence) band.

Matrix element of exciton-photon is defined as
[itex] M_{ex-op}=\langle\Psi^f|H_{el-op}|0\rangle[/itex]

[itex]M_{ex-op}=\sum_k Z^{n*}_{k_{c},k_v}D_k\langle 0|a+a^+|0\rangle[/itex]
My question is, how can we prove that [itex] \langle 0|a+a^+|0\rangle=1[/itex] to get

[itex]M_{ex-op}=\sum_k Z^{n*}_{k_{c},k_v}D_k [/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
hesky said:
My question is, how can we prove that [itex] \langle 0|a+a^+|0\rangle=1[/itex] to get

This depends on the photon state you use. With a photon vacuum, the expectation value would vanish. I suppose they assume some coherent state, however, I have no access to that article.

How did you get from
hesky said:
[itex] M_{ex-op}=\langle\Psi^f|H_{el-op}|0\rangle[/itex]
to
hesky said:
[itex]M_{ex-op}=\sum_k Z^{n*}_{k_{c},k_v}D_k\langle 0|a+a^+|0\rangle[/itex]
?

Where have all the operators acting on the electrons gone?

This depends on the photon state you use. With a photon vacuum, the expectation value would vanish. I suppose they assume some coherent state, however, I have no access to that article.
http://flex.phys.tohoku.ac.jp/~rsaito/rsj/j1180.pdf

Cthugha said:
How did you get from

to
?

Where have all the operators acting on the electrons gone?
Just put all the operators, and then take anti-commutation relations several times
[itex]\left \langle i|c^+_k c_l|i \right \rangle=\delta_{kl} n_i[/itex]

[itex]\left \langle i|c_k c^+_l|i \right \rangle=\delta_{kl} (1-n_i)[/itex]

[itex]\langle\Psi^f|H|0\rangle=\sum_{k,k'} Z^{n*}_{k_{c},k_v}\langle 0|c^+_{kv}c_{kc}c^+_{k'c}c_{k'v}(a+a^+)|0\rangle[/itex]

[itex]=\sum_{k,k'} Z^{n*}_{k_{c},k_v}\langle 0|c^+_{kv}\delta_{k,k'}(1-n_{kc})c_{k'v}(a+a^+)|0\rangle[/itex]

with [itex]n_{kc}=0[/itex] since at initial state no electron occupies conduction band

[itex]=\sum_{k} Z^{n*}_{k_{c},k_v}\langle 0|c^+_{kv}c_{kv}(a+a^+)|0\rangle [/itex]

[itex]=\sum_{k} Z^{n*}_{k_{c},k_v}\langle 0|n_{kv}(a+a^+)|0\rangle[/itex]

[itex]n_{kv}=1[/itex]

hesky said:

[itex]M_{ex-op}=\sum_k Z^{n*}_{k_{c},k_v}D_k [/itex]

I think that they are sloppy here and suppressed the matrix element of a+a^+. Resonance Raman involves rather high power fields and the expectation value of a+a^+ in that field can be expressed in terms of the squareroot of the intensity of the laser field (and maybe some constant involving it's frequency). Basically, the photon field can be treated classically.
For the consideration of the relative intensity of different Raman lines, the absolute intensity does not matter.

1. What is an exciton photon matrix element?

An exciton photon matrix element is a measure of the strength of the interaction between an exciton (a bound state of an electron and a hole in a material) and a photon. It describes the probability of an exciton absorbing or emitting a photon.

2. How is the exciton photon matrix element calculated?

The exciton photon matrix element is calculated using a combination of theoretical and experimental methods. Theoretical calculations involve solving the Schrödinger equation for the exciton in the presence of an electromagnetic field, while experimental techniques such as photoluminescence spectroscopy can be used to measure the exciton-photon interaction in a material.

3. What factors affect the exciton photon matrix element?

The exciton photon matrix element is influenced by various factors, including the properties of the material (such as its band structure and dielectric constant), the strength of the exciton-photon interaction, and the external electromagnetic field (such as its intensity and polarization).

4. What is the significance of the exciton photon matrix element?

The exciton photon matrix element plays a crucial role in understanding the optical properties of materials. It determines the efficiency of excitonic processes such as energy transfer and photoluminescence, which are important in applications such as solar cells and light-emitting devices.

5. Can the exciton photon matrix element be controlled?

Yes, the exciton photon matrix element can be controlled by manipulating the properties of the material, such as its composition and structure. For example, changing the size and shape of the material can alter the exciton-photon interaction and thus modify the exciton photon matrix element.