Calculating % Yield of Ester in Chemistry Lab

In summary, the question is asking for the % yield of ester if the reaction is allowed to reach equilibrium without removing any products. The person posting is unsure about the expected yield and is seeking clarification. Another person jumps in and asks for clarification on what the yield will be compared to.
kosterot
% yield ester

I'm having a problem with my chemistry lab report. the question is: What would the % yield of ester be if the reaction were simply allowed to equilibrate (i.e. no products are
removed)?
I think the the yield is going to smaller but i don't know why.
pls help

Physics news on Phys.org

If the reaction mixture is allowed to reach the equilibrium, are all reactants converted to final products?

relative to what?

Shayes said:
relative to what?

What relative to what? You have just won todays contest for the most cryptic post.

Borek said:
What relative to what? You have just won todays contest for the most cryptic post.

You think the yield will be smaller relative to what? Relative to Stopping the rxn early?

What is the purpose of calculating % yield of ester in a chemistry lab?

The purpose of calculating % yield of ester in a chemistry lab is to determine the efficiency of a chemical reaction. It compares the amount of ester produced in the lab to the theoretical amount that should have been produced based on the reactants used. This information can help scientists optimize reaction conditions and improve the overall yield.

How is the % yield of ester calculated?

The % yield of ester is calculated by dividing the actual yield (the amount of ester produced in the lab) by the theoretical yield (the amount of ester that should have been produced based on the amount of reactants used), and multiplying by 100. The formula is: % yield = (actual yield / theoretical yield) * 100.

What factors can affect the % yield of ester in a chemistry lab?

There are several factors that can affect the % yield of ester in a chemistry lab, including the purity of reactants, the efficiency of the reaction, and any side reactions that may occur. Other factors such as temperature, pressure, and concentration of reactants can also impact the yield.

What is considered a good % yield of ester in a chemistry lab?

A good % yield of ester in a chemistry lab is typically between 70-90%. This means that the reaction is efficient and most of the reactants are being converted into the desired product. However, the % yield can vary depending on the specific reaction and the conditions used.

How can the % yield of ester be improved in a chemistry lab?

To improve the % yield of ester in a chemistry lab, scientists can try optimizing reaction conditions such as temperature, pressure, and concentration of reactants. They can also purify reactants to ensure they are of high quality and minimize side reactions. Additionally, using a catalyst or changing the reaction pathway can also help increase the yield.