Generator hunting when parallel

In summary, an electrician on an AHTS vessel is experiencing a problem with generators when running them in parallel. The issue only occurs when using generator No. 1 or 2 at low loads, but not when using them individually. It is suspected that there is a problem with generator No. 2, possibly due to excess play or friction in the mechanical throttle linkage. The type and size of the governors and the stability of the frequency when running single generators are also important factors to consider. The term "hunting" in this context refers to a constant shift of load between generators, causing surges.
faizmal
Evening to all, I'm electrician onboard AHTS vessel. Currently I've have problem with generators onboard my vessel. For your info, we have 4 generators onboard. When paralleling with generator No. 1 and 2, the generator will be hunting if the load is low. But if running only generator 1 or 2, there are no problem. This happened also if we paralleling with 3 generators with generator no. 2. I suspected that there is a problem with generator No. 2. Hope I can get information regarding this matter. Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What drives each generator?

Check droop settings on governors?
Sounds like #2 is different trom 1 & 3 somehow.
Could be as simple as excess play or friction in mechanical throttle linkage...

What type of governors do you have mechanical or electronic?
What size are your generators?
Do you have a large load that you can switch on and off easily?
When running single generators does the frequency remain stable?

What does "hunting" mean in this application? Surging or something like that?

What does "hunting" mean in this application? Surging or something like that?
It means that the load is constantly shifted from one generator to another and the back again.

1. What is generator hunting when parallel?

Generator hunting when parallel is the process of synchronizing multiple generators in parallel operation. This means that two or more generators are connected to a common load and are running at the same frequency and voltage.

2. Why is generator hunting a concern when operating in parallel?

Generator hunting can cause instability in the system and can lead to voltage and frequency fluctuations. This can result in damage to equipment and potential power outages.

3. What factors can contribute to generator hunting when parallel?

Some factors that can contribute to generator hunting when parallel include differences in load sharing, voltage differences, and frequency differences between the generators. These differences can cause the generators to compete with each other, leading to hunting.

4. How can generator hunting when parallel be prevented?

To prevent generator hunting when parallel, it is important to ensure that all the generators are properly synchronized. This involves adjusting the speed and voltage of each generator to match the others. Regular maintenance and monitoring of the system can also help prevent hunting.

5. What should be done if generator hunting occurs when operating in parallel?

If generator hunting occurs when operating in parallel, it is important to take immediate action to prevent further damage. This may include disconnecting the generators from the load and adjusting the settings to address the hunting. It is also important to identify and fix the underlying cause to prevent future hunting.