Why is homeopathy and alternative medicines not illegal?

• Medical
  • Thread starter misnderstudge
  • Start date
In summary, homeopathy and alternative "medicines" are not illegal because the rate at which new homeopathic treatments are introduced outpaces the speed at which they can be empirically researched by orders of magnitude. As soon as one is established to be harmful, two more take its place. They can't be regulated at the point of production because they usually make no objective claims to medical benefit, and they don't have to, since everyone in their target group already intrinsically believe products packaged in a certain way have medical benefits.
misnderstudge
Why is homeopathy and alternative "medicines" not illegal?

Well why not. They lie, cheat and commit fraud with statistics. Tell people not to see there doctor etc. All of which as a result can kill and make peoples lives worse, i would say most but i can't think one would say oh i can't help you go see your doctor etc. I mean say today i am a level 2 medic and one tiny part of my cert's are out of date i am a level 1 if i tell a casualty i am a level 2 i can get put on probation or even sacked if they think i did it on purpose. That is only an example although i agree with regular training and recertification. there client generally don't know medicine or even what evidence based medicine is really. Plus the practitioners don't have a clue there defence would be they did not believe in it enough or they thought they were helping etc which is no pardon. (plus it p**** me of that they mostly take home more in a week than i do a month lol)

Biology news on Phys.org

Yeah but i can two so can a ten min talk with a doctor plus counseling. As that stuff is normally psychologically based. also most hypochondriacs need help to just not medical based. In my opinion it is the attention they get rather than the treatment that does it, the treatment just reinforces it as such, if that makes sense.

It's not illegal because the rate at which new homeopathic treatments are introduced outpaces the speed at which they can be empirically researched by orders of magnitude. As soon as one is established to be harmful, two more take its place. They can't be regulated at the point of production because they usually make no objective claims to medical benefit, and they don't have to, since everyone in their target group already intrinsically believe products packaged in a certain way have medical benefits.

No. The main reason why they are not illegal, especially here in the US, is because the lobbyists for this industry have managed to allow the lawmakers to designate that "alternative, natural medicine" to be out of the jurisdiction of the Food and Drug Administration, and thus, not subjected to the same set of rigorous criteria to verify their claims.

Zz.

misnderstudge said:
They lie, cheat and commit fraud with statistics. Tell people not to see there doctor etc.

Could you please point to some evidence?

atyy said:
Could you please point to some evidence?
There's really no need for that. Homeopathy is well established as crackpottery.

This is a regulatory no-mans-land. The FDA doesn't regulate homeopathic "medicine" because it isn't medicine. I agree that it should, though.

Likes RooksAndBooks

http://www.ncahf.org/pp/homeop.html is the best i can find but in my working experience i have seen plenty and it has been document very well that a few will also tell people to stop there proven treatment. This evidence is all over the net but i can't fined it as i lost my laptop, and i am using my phone for the net for the first time since i got it. As soon as i sort that out i will get plenty. This t9 is a bugger.

atyy said:
But is crackpottery the same as fraud?
Not specifically, no - but they often go together (many crackpots are frauds, but not all crackpots are frauds nor are all frauds crackpots). Not sure I see your point.

russ_watters said:
Not specifically, no - but they often go together (many crackpots are frauds, but not all crackpots are frauds nor are all frauds crackpots). Not sure I see your point.

I believe he is looking for evidence of fraudulent claims or lies.

AnTiFreeze3 said:
IMO, that's setting the bar too high and requires too much effort. That requires dissecting specific claims to find explicit intent to deceive, then banning individual products, on a case-by-case basis. I just don't see why that should be necessary. It puts the burden of proof on the wrong foot. The fact that the claims are not vetted by the FDA should be enough reason to ban them, regardless of if they are technically fraudulent or not.

This is a good resource for explaining why homeopathy is quackery. Anyone that claims it is real will need to provide valid, accepted mainstream peer reviewed scientific research. Anyone asking for research on imaginary products should know better.

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/homeo.html

This is not an accepted journal, and I doubt there would even be any on homeopathy since it is so well known to be nonsense. But for the members that don't undertand why homeopathy doesn't work, perhaps it will help them.

Proposed mechanisms for homeopathy are physically impossible

David Robert Grimes
Article first published online: 3 AUG 2012

DOI: 10.1111/j.2042-7166.2012.01162.x

© 2012 The Author. FACT © 2012 Royal Pharmaceutical Society

Abstract

Background - Homeopathy is a system of complementary and alternative medicine based on a belief that a malady can be treated by the administration of an extreme dilution of an agent thought to cause the physical signs of that malady. Homeopathy enjoys popular support from the general public and advocates of alternative medicine, but most large-scale clinical trials show no homeopathy to be no more effective than placebo treatment.

Objectives - To explore the chemical and physical plausibility of homeopathic treatments.

Methods - Homeopathic claims were put into a physical context and analysed using the laws of basic physics and chemistry.

Results - Through the laws of physics, homeopathic medicines appear to have zero chance of containing any biologically active component. Evidence from physical chemistry also rules out the plausibility of mechanisms such as water memory.

Conclusions - The proposed mechanisms of homeopathy are shown to be implausible when analysed from a physical and chemical perspective, and thus it is of no surprise that the biological effects of homeopathy cannot be measured in large-scale clinical trials.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.2042-7166.2012.01162.x/abstract

Last edited:

russ_watters said:

AnTiFreeze3 said:

russ_watters said:
IMO, that's setting the bar too high and requires too much effort. That requires dissecting specific claims to find explicit intent to deceive, then banning individual products, on a case-by-case basis. I just don't see why that should be necessary. It puts the burden of proof on the wrong foot. The fact that the claims are not vetted by the FDA should be enough reason to ban them, regardless of if they are technically fraudulent or not.

Yes, AntiFreeze3 interpreted me correctly. I asked about the fraud aspect because it was mentioned in the OP. I agree with russ watters that it is not necessary for the discussion about regulation to prove fraud, and the issue can be discussed on the basis of dangers to public health.

The OP asked about the legality of Homeopathy. If that's the question, we should consult the law.

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/CFRsearch.cfm?fr=101.93

"Subpart F--Specific Requirements for Descriptive Claims That Are Neither Nutrient Content Claims nor Health Claims"

I have never seen any homeopathic products. To they contain the FDA disclaimer?

"These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease."

Thanks evo etc. I think most of you understand the question.

I myself was cheated by the misleading claims homeopaths tell you. I had a skin condition so I fell for their claim (I was desperate) that they could cure it in a no time( three months). What I hoped for three months turned into many months. I did not notice any improvement in fact my condition was worse than what I originally had before starting this stupid treatment. I do feel that treatments outside of a doctor's setting needs to be much more closely looked at and research needs to take place assessing the effectiveness of these treatments( not sure what to call them). And homeopathy is one form of treatment that is a bunch of quackery. The practice itself makes no sense.

But that is symptoms not a cure or treatment for say cancer etc. For example o2 on its own can have a tiny pain reliving affect (very small but more than the normal placebo) so if i am worried about a patients level of consciousness or a history etc with the meds i use including gas and air i tell them the pain will go down a bit and well it does. It is the uniform and trust that is the biggest affect the o2 just is the proxy as such. Ie i say it works explain it helps enzyme releases i think and the they see the o2 and i administer it. But i am sure it is the reassurance and attention they get as the main pain relief. So i do use it to an advantage so do most. The issue is the lying cheating etc. Is it not possible to do random checks on its practitioners to make sure they are not lying cheating etc. Then they would be somewhat more honest, ie it only helps the pain and your doc will cure you then they take less meds and i think that is a good thing. As long as no magical crap is talked about

There is a great book by Ben Goldacre called 'Bad Science' which addresses a lot of these issues.

Also lots of great stuff on the QuackWatch website.

I think the main reason for lack of regulation is ignorance. Many legislators have no more insight into scientific method than regular folks, for example not appreciating that anecdote (such as testimonials) has no evidential value since by its very nature such data is selective.

Many people have a longing to 'do something' - so if conventional science either says it can do nothing or tells them they have no definable illness, they look elsewhere.

The whole point of scientific method is it presents a rigourous remedy to just believing what you want to believe or presenting 'plausible' as 'factual'. The 'alternative' in 'Alternative Medicine' is essentially an alternative to that rigour...

This forum is for valid science, not personal opinions and guesses. If you are claiming something works, for whatever reason, you must also post the mainstream, peer reviewed studies about that particular substance from an acceptable journal.

Who are you talking to?

Who are you talking, to me or evo, if me everyone who looks at this, and evo I THINK is talking about a few who don't understand the question or came out with rather misguided answers, they have been deleted i think. I think that is it

misnderstudge said:
Who are you talking, to me or evo, if me everyone who looks at this, and evo I THINK is talking about a few who don't understand the question or came out with rather misguided answers, they have been deleted i think. I think that is it

Cool, thanks. I asked a question and it was deleted, or I never clicked send. I don't know which!

I know that there is proof that placebos work for pain (https://itunes.apple.com/itunes-u/psychology-101-fall-2008-uc/id354824511?mt=10 [Broken]) but I wanted to know if there was proof or studies about whether positive thinking helped people recover.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yeah but it may not be like that it maybe more survival. Let's say if 50 medically similar and similar aged people brake there spine and damage there cord the same way. pushing them self at the same level. Now say some get highly stressed and some don't 25/25 mentally stressed of course the ones who are less stressed should recover faster but that stress can be helped by doctors, nurses, carers, physical therapists, pharmacist, psychologists, family's friends and or course them self etc

What you're saying is there's no way to do a controlled experiment, there would be too many variables. I guess so!

It's not like a placebo vs. no placebo test where you get it or you don't get it, there are so many ways to define stress and it is very subjective. I don't like the idea of subjecting people with spinal injuries to long questionnaires about how relaxed and cheerful they feel.

No but look at how they look and act are they unstable, angry, upset not pushing them self hard enough example are they "giving up"etc and ask there family are they normally like that, word it different than i did. Also ask the patient questions ie how are you Mr patient note what they say how they look and do you believe they feel fine if they say they are. but get psychologist to record the body language etc. But i think that sort of research has been done

Last edited:

misnderstudge said:
No but are the unusable, angry, upset not pushing them self etc and ask family are they normally like that, word it different than that. Also ask the patient questions ie how are you Mr smith note what they say how they look and do you believe they feel fine. but get psychologist to record. But i think that sort of research has been done

I am sorry I don't understand what you wrote.

I edited it

The dangers of homeopathy are the people that are actually ill and need real medical care. People that are sold water, which is basically all that homeopathic products are, and told that it will cure them, will fail to get medical help, they can potentially die or their conditions can become incurable. The peddlers of homeopathic products aren't just appealing to people with minor headaches or imaginary illnesses that can be "cured" by a placebo.

Why on Earth do you feel the need to make something illegal just because you don't think it is ok?

I am more offended by your "let's make it illegal because I am convinced it is junk" than the thing you wish to make illegal.

You clearly have no idea about the subject, it kills people because they don't know better or more about the science of medicine. All so some people get rich that is ok but i think it should be band because people really do die and because of this i am the bad guy. Wake up and smell the coffee i work as a medic no not a doctor but on ambulances. So i know enough to know it is unfair on the clients

Last edited:

hiranyu said:
Why on Earth do you feel the need to make something illegal just because you don't think it is ok?

I am more offended by your "let's make it illegal because I am convinced it is junk" than the thing you wish to make illegal.

Let's replace the "it" in "you don't think it is ok?" with anything else horribly wrong:

Why on Earth do you feel the need to make murder illegal just because you don't think murder is ok?

Why on Earth do you feel the need to make rape illegal just because you don't think rape is ok?

Some things are simply immoral. If you fail to see why conning innocent people out of their money is wrong, or if you fail to see how lying to people in scenarios which could endanger their lives is wrong, then I would be very worried for you.

Obviously people have reasons for thinking that something is wrong. If you cared to read a single post in this thread, then you would be adequately supplied with reasons explaining why homeopathy is wrong. Instead of making incredibly vague assertions about you being offended, I recommend that you try arguing against the given reasons, instead of arguing about the fact that we're arguing.

Seems people aren't reading, aren't grasping what's been said, or don't care to read or understand. Time to close.

1. Why is homeopathy and alternative medicines not considered illegal?

Homeopathy and alternative medicines are not considered illegal because they have not been proven to be harmful or dangerous to individuals. While they may not have scientific evidence to support their effectiveness, they also do not have evidence to suggest that they are harmful. Additionally, many countries have regulations in place to ensure that these types of medicines are safe for consumption.

2. Are homeopathy and alternative medicines regulated by the government?

Yes, homeopathy and alternative medicines are regulated by the government in most countries. While they may not be subject to the same level of scrutiny as traditional medicines, they still have to meet certain standards and regulations in order to be sold to the public. These regulations vary by country, but generally include requirements for labeling, manufacturing, and safety.

3. How do homeopathy and alternative medicines differ from traditional medicines?

Homeopathy and alternative medicines differ from traditional medicines in several ways. Traditional medicines are typically based on scientific evidence and are regulated by government agencies. Homeopathy and alternative medicines, on the other hand, are based on natural remedies and may not have scientific evidence to support their effectiveness. They are also not subject to the same level of regulation.

4. Is there any scientific evidence to support the effectiveness of homeopathy and alternative medicines?

While there is some evidence to suggest that homeopathy and alternative medicines may have some benefits, the majority of scientific studies have not been able to prove their effectiveness. Many experts argue that any perceived benefits are due to the placebo effect rather than the actual ingredients in these medicines.

5. Are there any risks associated with using homeopathy and alternative medicines?

While homeopathy and alternative medicines may not have proven risks, there are still potential dangers associated with using them. These can include interactions with other medications, contamination of ingredients, and delays in seeking proper medical treatment for serious conditions. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional before using any type of alternative medicine.