Does Newton's Law of Gravitation Apply in Outer Space?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the concept of gravity and whether it only exists within a specific region or extends into space. The Newtonian law of gravitation is mentioned, which states that all matter in the universe attracts each other with a force. However, some believe that this force only exists within a certain region, while others argue that it extends infinitely into space. The question is raised as to what happens to the force of gravity as distance increases. Overall, the conversation shows a curiosity and discussion about the nature of gravity and its effects on objects in the universe.
arunborah
Hello

I studied about the Newton law of Gravitation which states that in universe every matter attract each other with a force which is denoted by F= Gm1m2/r^2. But in my view it is only happen within the region of gravity of a matter. but not in the space.

please can anybody help me in this regard?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
arunborah said:
But in my view it is only happen within the region of gravity of a matter. but not in the space.
What do you mean by "within the region of gravity of a matter"?

Gravity is what keeps the Moon in orbit about the Earth, the planets in orbit about the Sun, the stars in orbit about the galaxy, our galaxy bound to the local group. Gravitation extends into space.

arunborah said:
I studied about the Newton law of Gravitation which states that in universe every matter attract each other with a force which is denoted by F= Gm1m2/r^2.
OK.

But in my view it is only happen within the region of gravity of a matter. but not in the space.
What do you mean by that? Are you saying that two masses separated by space will not attract? What is the "region of gravity"?

arunborah said:
Hello

I studied about the Newton law of Gravitation which states that in universe every matter attract each other with a force which is denoted by F= Gm1m2/r^2. But in my view it is only happen within the region of gravity of a matter. but not in the space.

please can anybody help me in this regard?
Do you think gravity only acts within the atmosphere(region?) and not exceeds to space(which is what we call to place beyond the earth)?Do you think in terms of earth?
I think he is talking about this: As distance increase the gravity force decrease.
By that,do you think that the gravity force gets vanished beyond "The region"?

The Newtonian gravitational field ##F = -\frac{GM}{r^{2}}\hat{r}## extends out to infinity isotropically.

1. What is Newton's law of gravitation?

Newton's law of gravitation states that every particle in the universe attracts every other particle with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. Who formulated Newton's law of gravitation?

Sir Isaac Newton formulated this law in his book "Philosophiae Naturalis Principia Mathematica" (Mathematical Principles of Natural Philosophy) in 1687.

3. How does Newton's law of gravitation explain the motion of planets?

According to this law, the force of gravity between the sun and planets is responsible for the motion of planets around the sun. The sun's mass creates a gravitational pull on each planet, keeping them in their orbits.

4. Does Newton's law of gravitation apply to all objects in the universe?

Yes, this law applies to all objects in the universe that have mass. The larger the mass of an object, the stronger its gravitational pull.

5. Is Newton's law of gravitation still relevant in modern science?

Yes, Newton's law of gravitation is still used in modern science to explain the motion of objects in space, such as planets, stars, and galaxies. However, it has been refined and expanded upon by Albert Einstein's theory of general relativity.