Mechanics - How to predict the motion after two objects collide in 2D?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the mass of two objects and the angle between their directions. It is suggested that the law of conservation of momentum can be used to predict the motion of the objects after collision, and the angle between their paths will always be less than or equal to 180 degrees. The concept of the center of mass is also mentioned as a way to calculate the angle between the two paths, provided that the objects move along straight lines. The idea that the velocity of the center of mass must be constant is also discussed. A helpful resource is provided for further understanding of the topic.
Outrageous
I think no matter what are the mass of two objects, there must be a fix angle between the angle of two direction.
Is that using the center mass reference to calculate?
I say that because we can prove that when the two objects with same mass collide, then the angle between the direction of the objects'motion will be 90°.
That is proven based on the condition that they have same mass, what if different mass, do we have any fixed angle (eg the angle ≤ 180°)
These are elastic collision.
please guide . thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
One can use law of conservation of momentum to predict the motion, provided that one knows well the momentum of the two particles. So the angle between the motion of the objects after collision can be given by the resultant momentums of the two objects.
But I think as you said, the angle≤1800. Because anyway if we draw two lines in a two dimensional plane, the angle between them cannot be more than 1800.
Centre of mass is a difficult approach. You have to find the centre of mass, see how it moves before collision, and how it moves after collision. Then you have to calculate the angle between the two paths (provided that the objects move along straight lines).

Abhilash H N said:
One can use law of conservation of momentum to predict the motion, provided that one knows well the momentum of the two particles. So the angle between the motion of the objects after collision can be given by the resultant momentums of the two objects.
But I think as you said, the angle≤1800. Because anyway if we draw two lines in a two dimensional plane, the angle between them cannot be more than 1800.
Centre of mass is a difficult approach. You have to find the centre of mass, see how it moves before collision, and how it moves after collision. Then you have to calculate the angle between the two paths (provided that the objects move along straight lines).

Erm, can I say that no matter what kind of objects' mass. The angle between two objects will be ≤ 180?
u is the initial velocity of ball in lab frame
v is the initial velocity in center mass reference frame
r is the velocity of the canter mass.
u= v + r
Then the r must be in only one direction?

Yes, although we cannot predict the angle it will always be ≤1800.
And I think 2nd statement is also correct.. r must be in one direction. Because if momentum is conserved, the center of mass velocity of the system is also conserved. Not only that, its velocity must not change i.e, it must be constant.
I just went down a site, I think it might be useful
here is the link
http://physics.ucsc.edu/~josh/6A/book/momentum/node33.html
:)

Likes 1 person
Abhilash H N said:
r must be in one direction. Because if momentum is conserved, the center of mass velocity of the system is also conserved. Not only that, its velocity must not change i.e, it must be constant.

:)

Exactly what I want .thamks

What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

In elastic collisions, both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved. This means that the total energy and momentum of the system before and after the collision are the same. In inelastic collisions, only momentum is conserved and some kinetic energy is lost in the form of heat or sound.

How do I calculate the final velocities of two objects after a collision?

To calculate the final velocities, you can use the conservation of momentum and energy equations. First, calculate the total momentum and total kinetic energy of the system before the collision. Then, use these values to solve for the final velocities using the equations: m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1' + m2v2' (conservation of momentum) and 1/2m1v1^2 + 1/2m2v2^2 = 1/2m1v1'^2 + 1/2m2v2'^2 (conservation of energy).

What factors affect the outcome of a collision?

The outcome of a collision is affected by factors such as the masses of the objects, their velocities before the collision, the angle at which they collide, and whether the collision is elastic or inelastic. Other factors, such as external forces or friction, can also affect the outcome.

Can I predict the motion of the objects after a collision in 2D?

Yes, you can predict the motion of the objects after a collision in 2D using the principles of conservation of momentum and energy. By analyzing the initial conditions and applying these principles, you can calculate the final velocities and trajectories of the objects.

Are there real-life applications of predicting motion after collisions in 2D?

Yes, predicting the motion after collisions in 2D has many real-life applications, such as in car accidents, sports, and engineering. By understanding the principles of mechanics, we can design safer cars, calculate trajectories of objects in sports like billiards or golf, and predict the outcome of collisions in industrial machinery.