The HISTORY 'what is it?' thread

In summary, the conversation discussed various historical questions, including the works of Isidore of Seville, the reason for Lee's loss at the Battle of Gettysburg, and which Roman emperor gave his horse consulship. Isidore of Seville wrote Etymologiae and is known as the Patron Saint of the Internet. Some believe Lee lost due to being overwhelmed, but others argue that it was because he lost his main scout and advisor, JEB Stuart, after the death of T.J. Jackson. The conversation also mentioned Caligula potentially giving his horse consulship, although it is uncertain if this actually happened.
JamesU
Gold Member
A spinoff of the what is it thread, to ask historical questions!

Isidore of Seville is the Patron Saint of the Internet. Which of the following works did he write?

Science news on Phys.org
You didn't list any "following works," yomamma. The only thing I know of that he wrote was Etymologiae, an encylopedia of classical knowledge. I know that the church holds him in really high esteem and considers him to be the last of the ancient Christian philosophers (that is, pre-medieval).

whoops, sorry, but you got it right. :redface: your turn

Many people feel that Lee lost the Battle of Gettysburg simply because he was overwhelmed; that is, the Union army was too entrenched and too large and they had the high ground. Personally, however, I feel that a large part of the reason he lost was that a key component to his forces was missing, which destroyed his ability to scout. What was this missing piece?

No idea. Perhaps the navy?

Nope, not the navy.

JEB Stuart

1 said:
JEB Stuart

Bingo. He lost his main scout and advisor. After the death of T.J. Jackson, and with Stuart bogged down in WV, the triumvirate was broken.

Your turn.

what roman emperor gave his favorite horse consulship.

Caligula... but I don't think he ever actually did it.

Smurf said:
Caligula... but I don't think he ever actually did it.

yes, your turn

1. What is the purpose of the "The HISTORY 'what is it?' thread"?

The purpose of this thread is to discuss and explore the concept of history, including its definition, significance, and impact on society.

2. Who can participate in this thread?

Anyone with an interest in history can participate in this thread. All opinions and perspectives are welcome.

3. Is this thread limited to a specific time period or region?

No, this thread is not limited to a specific time period or region. It is open to discussions about history from all time periods and regions.

4. Are there any guidelines for participating in this thread?

We encourage respectful and constructive discussions in this thread. Personal attacks or offensive language will not be tolerated.

5. Can I ask questions and share my own insights in this thread?

Absolutely! This thread is meant to be a platform for open and engaging discussions about history, so please feel free to ask questions and share your thoughts and insights.