Always centripetal force when object in circular motion?

In summary, according to the First Newton Law of Motion, a resultant force must act if there is a change of direction. If there is no normal force, the object's motion will be linear only.
something_about
Centripetal force is directed towards the circle, but is centripetal force always involved when objects go in circle?If I put a toy car on ice and drive it around in circle with my hand, then obviously force my hand exerted was directed along the path(circle) and not towards center of circle.

So if in this case force wasn't directed towards the center, wouldn't that say that centripetal force is not always needed for things to have circular motion?

bye

Physics news on Phys.org
According to the First Newton Law of Motion, a resultant force must act if there is a change of direction. In circular motion, the object always change direction----hence it is a must to have a centripetal force acting on it.

As for your case, i think(I'm not sure though) that the centripetal force is acting on your hand.

Harmony said:
According to the First Newton Law of Motion, a resultant force must act if there is a change of direction. In circular motion, the object always change direction----hence it is a must to have a centripetal force acting on it.

Why? Why couldn't resultant force directed along tha path also made object go in circles? Why would only centripetal force cause such motion?

You have to remember that any force acting on a particle that travels non-linearly has two distinct components. One acting tangential to motion, the other acting normal to the motion. If there is no normal force, the particle's motion will be linear only.

civil_dude said:
You have to remember that any force acting on a particle that travels non-linearly has two distinct components. One acting tangential to motion, the other acting normal to the motion. If there is no normal force, the particle's motion will be linear only.

I didn't say there was no normal force.But since besides normal component there is also component of force tangential to motion the resultant force isn't directed towards center of circle.

No, but the resultant force has a normal component.

No, but the resultant force has a normal component.

I don't know what you are trying to say!I'm also not quite certain why component of force needs to be tangent to motion?

The particle do accelerate if it is not traveling linearly. You may use a vector diagram to figure it out. If there's acceleration, there should be force acting on the particle. In circular motion case, the centripetal acceleration acts towards the center, so the centripetal force must occur.

They don't have to be tangential or normal. You can use any system you want to show the forces.

But we like to break up any force acting on a body in curvilinear motion INTO T & N components.

I think I do understand why component of force needs to be tangent to motion. Because it can only change magnitude of velocity if it's parallel to velocity and since velocity is tangent to motion so must be component of force.

But even in this scenario where one component is perpendicular and other parallel to velocity, resultant force is not directed towards the center of circle. So this can't be centripetal force and yet object si going in circular motion!

I hope I'm not breaking any rules by doing this, but can't you guys help me some more? The stuff I asked about are basics, all of physics I have yet to learn is built up on this.:cry:

What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It is directed towards the center of the circle and is constantly changing the direction of the object's velocity.

What causes centripetal force?

In circular motion, centripetal force is caused by a combination of inertia and the force of gravity or tension. Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its motion, and the force of gravity or tension provides the necessary centripetal force to keep the object moving in a circular path.

Is centripetal force a real force?

Yes, centripetal force is a real force that is necessary for an object to stay in circular motion. It may not be a distinct physical force, but it is the net force that is responsible for changing the direction of an object's motion in a circular path.

How is centripetal force calculated?

The magnitude of centripetal force can be calculated using the formula F=mv^2/r, where m is the mass of the object, v is its velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path. The direction of the force is always towards the center of the circle.

What is the difference between centripetal force and centrifugal force?

Centripetal force and centrifugal force are often confused because they are both forces involved in circular motion. However, centripetal force is directed towards the center of the circle and keeps the object in its circular path, while centrifugal force is an outward force that is experienced by an object in circular motion due to its inertia.