Stoichiometry Mole Conversion Problems

In summary, the conversation discusses two problems: calculating the number of molecules of NBr3 from a given mass and determining the mass of HCl produced from a chemical reaction. The first problem involves converting mass to molecules, which the person is not familiar with, while the second problem requires balancing an equation and converting mass to mass with multiple reactants. The person provides links to resources they have been using but is still struggling with the problems.
Cereal
Hey there, I've been trying for the past 45 minutes to work on my online homework but I have made hardly any progress. Here are the 2 problems I'm having trouble with:

1- Calculate the number of molecules of NBr3 in 37.5 g NBr3. Use a molar mass with at least as many significant figures as the data given.

2-CH4(g) + Cl2(g) --> CHCl3(l) + HCl(g)

What mass of HCl can be produced from 1.60 g of methane and 10.0 g of chlorine in the above unbalanced reaction? Use at least as many significant figures in your molar masses as in the data given.

The problem in the first one is that I'm going from mass to molecules. I've only done problems involving moles and mass. Any hints as to how to get started?

For the second one, I think I balanced the equation right. 2CH4 + 6Cl2 --> 2CHCl3 + 6HCl? I also see the problem is converting mass to mass. However, with methane AND chlorine involved, I'm lost as to where to go from here.

All help is appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
*Groans* I'm doing exactly that in my online course.:yuck:

In case this helps you (It didn't help me but I'm convinced I'm just slow...:tongue: ), here is what we were given...

http://dbhs.wvusd.k12.ca.us/webdocs/Stoichiometry/Stoichiometry.html

http://www.chem4kids.com/files/react_stoichio.html

I'll have to look over it again myself.:smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

I understand that stoichiometry and mole conversions can be challenging concepts to grasp. It is important to have a solid understanding of these concepts in order to successfully solve problems like the ones you are struggling with.

For the first problem, you are correct that you need to convert from mass to molecules. To do this, you will need to use the molar mass of NBr3, which is 187.71 g/mol. This tells us that for every 187.71 g of NBr3, there are 6.022 x 10^23 molecules. Using this conversion factor, you can set up a dimensional analysis problem to solve for the number of molecules in 37.5 g of NBr3. Remember to always check your units and make sure they cancel out to give you the correct final unit.

For the second problem, you have correctly balanced the equation. To solve for the mass of HCl produced, you will need to use the molar masses of each reactant and product. This tells us that for every 16.04 g of CH4, there are 36.46 g of HCl produced. Similarly, for every 70.91 g of Cl2, there are 36.46 g of HCl produced. Using these conversion factors, you can set up a dimensional analysis problem to solve for the mass of HCl produced. Again, make sure to check your units and use the correct number of significant figures in your final answer.

I hope this helps you get started on solving these problems. Remember to always double check your work and use the appropriate conversion factors. If you continue to struggle, don't hesitate to seek out additional resources or ask for help from your instructor or peers. Good luck!

1. What is stoichiometry and why is it important?

Stoichiometry is the study of the quantitative relationships between reactants and products in a chemical reaction. It is important because it allows us to determine the amounts of products that will be formed based on the given amounts of reactants, and vice versa. This is crucial in understanding and predicting the outcome of chemical reactions.

2. What is a mole and how is it used in stoichiometry?

A mole is a unit of measurement used in chemistry to represent a specific number of particles, which is 6.02 x 10^23. In stoichiometry, moles are used to convert between the mass of a substance and the number of particles or molecules present. This allows us to determine the amount of a substance needed for a reaction or the amount of product that will be formed.

3. How do you convert between moles and mass in stoichiometry?

To convert between moles and mass in stoichiometry, you can use the molar mass of the substance. This is the mass of one mole of a substance and is expressed in grams per mole. You can use the molar mass to convert from mass to moles by dividing the given mass by the molar mass. To convert from moles to mass, you can multiply the given number of moles by the molar mass.

4. What is a limiting reactant and how is it determined in stoichiometry?

A limiting reactant is the reactant that is completely consumed in a chemical reaction, limiting the amount of product that can be formed. It is determined in stoichiometry by comparing the amount of each reactant present to the stoichiometric ratio, which is the ratio of moles of each reactant required for the reaction. The reactant that has the lower ratio is the limiting reactant because it will be completely used up first.

5. Can you explain the steps for solving a stoichiometry mole conversion problem?

Sure! The first step is to write out the balanced chemical equation for the reaction. Then, identify the given and desired quantities (usually in moles or mass). Next, use the given quantity to convert to moles, if needed, using the molar mass. Then, use the mole ratio from the balanced equation to convert between the given and desired quantities. Finally, check your answer to ensure it is reasonable and in the correct units.