PH of solution (not enough infromation?)

• Thread starter Haxx0rm4ster
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ph
In summary, the conversation discusses two separate problems: calculating the concentration of species in a 0.25M solution of ethylammonium chloride and finding the pH of a 0.050M solution of Al(NO3)3. The first problem involves finding the Kb value for C2H5NH2, while the second problem involves setting up an equilibrium constant equation. The proposed solution for the first problem involves using the Appendix of the book, while the proposed solution for the second problem involves finding the equilibrium constant for Al(H2O)6 3+.
Haxx0rm4ster
Both are confusing me. I don't know what information to use (K values)
I'd really appreciate some help!

Calculate the concentration of all species present in a 0.25M solution of ethylammonium chloride (C2H5NH3CL)
(Not sure you if you may need this, but C2H5NH2 has a Kb value of 5.6*10^-4... it is not given in the question, it's in the appendixes of my book, which are used a lot in these problems)

Calculate the pH of a 0.050M Al(NO3)3 solution. Ka value for Al(H2O)6 3+ is 1.4*10^-5.

EDIT: hmmm after reading analyzing it a little bit, I think I'm supposed to find the Kb of C2H5NH2 for the first one.. in other words
1ee-14/5.6ee-4
right?
And that would lead to the answer being
[C2H5NH3 +] = 0.25M (% dissociation is insignificant)
[Cl -] = 0.25M
[H +] = [C2H5NH2] = 2.1ee-6M
Does this look right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, both of these questions involve setting up an equilibrium constant equation. So you can start by showing us this setup for both problems.

Hello, it seems like you have already made some progress in solving these problems. However, to provide a complete and accurate response, I will go through the steps and calculations for both questions.

For the first question, we are given a 0.25M solution of ethylammonium chloride (C2H5NH3Cl) and the Ka value for ethylamine (C2H5NH2). First, we need to write the dissociation reaction for ethylammonium chloride:

C2H5NH3Cl ⇌ C2H5NH3+ + Cl-

From this, we can see that the concentration of ethylammonium ions (C2H5NH3+) will be equal to the concentration of the initial solution (0.25M). The concentration of chloride ions (Cl-) will also be equal to the initial concentration of the solution (0.25M). Now, to calculate the concentration of ethylamine (C2H5NH2), we can use the Kb value given in the problem:

Kb = [C2H5NH2][OH-] / [C2H5NH3+]

Rearranging this equation, we get:

[C2H5NH2] = Kb * [C2H5NH3+]/[OH-]

Since we are given the Kb value and the concentration of ethylammonium ions, we can calculate the concentration of ethylamine:

[C2H5NH2] = (5.6*10^-4) * (0.25) / [OH-]

[C2H5NH2] = 1.4*10^-4 / [OH-]

Now, to find the concentration of hydroxide ions ([OH-]), we can use the fact that in a neutral solution, [H+] = [OH-] = 1*10^-7. Therefore, we can calculate the concentration of hydroxide ions:

[OH-] = 1*10^-14 / [H+]

[OH-] = 1*10^-14 / 1*10^-7

[OH-] = 1*10^-7

Plugging this value back into our equation for [C2H5NH2], we get:

[C2H5NH2] = 1.4*10^-4 / (1*10^-7)

[C2

What is the pH scale?

The pH scale is a measure of the acidity or basicity of a solution. It ranges from 0 to 14, with 7 being neutral. Solutions with a pH below 7 are considered acidic, while those with a pH above 7 are considered basic.

How is pH measured?

pH is measured using a pH meter or pH paper. The pH meter measures the electrical potential difference between a reference electrode and a glass electrode immersed in the solution, while pH paper changes color based on the pH of the solution it is dipped into.

What factors can affect the pH of a solution?

The pH of a solution can be affected by a variety of factors, including the concentration of hydrogen ions (H+) and hydroxide ions (OH-) present, the temperature, the presence of other ions or molecules that may interact with the H+ and OH- ions, and the strength of the acids or bases in the solution.

Why is pH important in scientific research?

pH is important in scientific research because it can affect the properties and behavior of substances, reactions, and biological processes. It is also a useful tool for identifying and characterizing substances and for monitoring and controlling reactions.

How can pH be adjusted in a solution?

pH can be adjusted in a solution by adding an acid or base to neutralize the solution. The amount of acid or base needed to reach a desired pH can be calculated using the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation, which takes into account the starting pH, the desired pH, and the pKa of the acid or base being added.