2nd order homogenous differential equation

In summary, the conversation is about solving the differential equation y'' - 3y' + 2y = 0. The person has found solutions of the form y = e^{rx} with r = 2 and 1, but is stuck on finding the complete solution with constants A and B. The expert explains that a linear combination of these solutions with two constants is the complete solution, and that the values of A and B can be determined with initial or boundary conditions. The person thanks the expert for their help.
zanazzi78
Solve the following for y(x);

y'' - 3y' + 2y = 0

I kind of know what to do up to a point but after that I`m stuck (bad notes and no textbook!).

Here`s what i`ve done so far, if someone could hint as how to finish this question i should be able to do the other 9 I have.

let y = e^rx then y' = r e^rx and y''= r^2 e^rx

therefor

r^2 e^rx -3re^rx + 2e^rx = 0

or
r^2 -3r +2 = 0

or

(r-2)(r-1)=0

i.e. r=2 and r=1

now i`m stuck! What do i need to do to find the solution?

(sorry about the lack of latex but my pc refuses to display it! so if you could not use it i would be gratefull)

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, as you said you proposed solutions of the form [itex]y = e^{rx}[/itex] and you found r to be 2 and 1. A lineair combination of these solutions, together with two constants, is your complete solution to the homogenous equation.

So i would have a solution something like

y= A e^2x + B e^x

How do I find A and B or is that an irrelavent question?

zanazzi78 said:
So i would have a solution something like

y= A e^2x + B e^x

How do I find A and B or is that an irrelavent question?
Your solution is fine and you cannot determine A and B, unless there are initial or boundary conditions. For a general n-th order DE, you'll have n constants.

TD thank you very much, your help is gratefully received.

zanazzi78 said:
TD thank you very much, your help is gratefully received.
You're welcome :smile:

1. What is a 2nd order homogenous differential equation?

A 2nd order homogenous differential equation is an equation that includes a dependent variable, its first derivative, and its second derivative. It does not contain any other independent variables. It is called "homogenous" because all terms in the equation have the same degree.

2. How do you solve a 2nd order homogenous differential equation?

To solve a 2nd order homogenous differential equation, you need to first rewrite it in its standard form, which is in the form of y'' + P(x)y' + Q(x)y = 0. Then, you can use various methods such as substitution, variation of parameters, or the characteristic equation to find the general solution.

3. What is the difference between a homogenous and a non-homogenous differential equation?

A homogenous differential equation only contains terms with the same degree, while a non-homogenous differential equation may also include terms with different degrees or constants. This makes solving homogenous equations more straightforward compared to non-homogenous ones.

4. What are some real-life applications of 2nd order homogenous differential equations?

2nd order homogenous differential equations are commonly used in physics and engineering to model various systems, such as oscillations, springs, and circuits. They can also be used to describe population growth, chemical reactions, and other natural phenomena.

5. Are there different types of 2nd order homogenous differential equations?

Yes, there are three main types of 2nd order homogenous differential equations: linear, separable, and exact. Each type has its own characteristics and methods for solving. It is important to identify the type of equation before attempting to solve it.