Radioactive decay equilibrium when decay constants are equal

In summary, the person is trying to solve for the activity of a radioactive substance as a function of time, but is having trouble with the derivation. They have found two solutions, one easy and one hard. The easy solution is to find the limit of the solution given for the general case, while the hard solution is to find the limit of the solution given for the case where lambda_B equals lambda_A.
siifuthun
I need a refresher on calculus need to derive this equation, the question is:

A --> B --> C
and where decay constants:
http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/4403/aki2.jpg
Derive an expression for the activity of B as a function of time.

So what I'm having trouble with is changing the derivation for the number of N when lambda_A = lambda_B so that I derive the activity of B.
Normally we would have:
http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/3501/ajh6.jpg
But because of the condition, we have to go about it differently. So setting the decay constants equal to each other:
http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/192/asa5.jpg

And this is where I get a little stumped trying to change the derivation. When lambda_A doesn't equal lambda_B, the derivation ends up with:
http://img226.imageshack.us/img226/1602/akk1.jpg

The problem I'm having is that I'm not sure what has to be done differently in the original derivation to solve for activity, my calculus skills are a little rusty so if anyone has any suggestions or advice, it's greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]dN_B\,=\,\lambda_A\,(N^0_A\,e^{-\lambda_At}\,-\,N_B)\,dt[/tex]

would lead one to

[tex]\frac{dN_B}{(N^0_A\,e^{-\lambda_At}\,-\,N_B)}\,=\,\lambda_A\,dt[/tex]

which seems problematic.

But the expression on the left can be written

[tex]\frac{e^{\lambda_At}dN_B}{(N^0_A\,-\,e^{\lambda_At}N_B)}\,=\,\lambda_A\,dt[/tex]

On the other hand, one does not find two radionuclides in a successive decay scheme having equal decay constants.

There's two approaches to figuring this out (the easy way and the harder way).

The harder way is to look for solutions to the differential equation you've finally arrived at.

The easy way is to find the limit of the solution given for the general case, as [itex]\lambda _B \rightarrow \lambda _A [/itex]

Hint: Write [itex]\lambda _B = \lambda _A + \delta [/itex] and find the limit of the first term of the general result (the one for unequal lambdas) as [itex]\delta \rightarrow 0 [/itex]. Use the Taylor expansion for the small exponential, and the limit pops out quite happily.

1. What is radioactive decay equilibrium?

Radioactive decay equilibrium is a state in which the rate of decay of a radioactive element is equal to the rate of production of new atoms of the element. This means that the number of atoms of the element remains constant over time.

2. How is radioactive decay equilibrium achieved?

Radioactive decay equilibrium is achieved when the decay constant, which is a measure of the rate of decay, is equal to the production rate constant, which is a measure of the rate of production of new atoms. This can happen naturally in some elements, or it can be artificially achieved in a laboratory setting.

3. What is the significance of having equal decay constants in radioactive decay equilibrium?

Having equal decay constants is significant because it means that the system is stable and the number of atoms of the radioactive element will not change over time. This is important in radiometric dating methods and in understanding the behavior of radioactive elements in various processes.

4. Can radioactive decay equilibrium be disrupted?

Yes, radioactive decay equilibrium can be disrupted if there is a change in the decay constant or the production rate constant. This can happen due to external factors such as changes in temperature or pressure, or internal factors such as nuclear reactions or radioactive decay chains.

5. What are some applications of radioactive decay equilibrium?

Radioactive decay equilibrium has many applications in various fields such as geology, archeology, and medicine. It is used in radiometric dating to determine the age of rocks and artifacts, in nuclear medicine for imaging and treatment, and in nuclear power plants for generating electricity.