PHYSICS OF MUSIC: Pitch is organ pipes & vibration spectrum

In summary, when comparing an open pipe and a closed pipe that are the same length and have air blown across them, the pitch of the open pipe will be higher. In a vibration spectrum for a plucked string, there are spaces between the lines and most frequencies have zero amplitudes because of the wavelengths and their relation to each other.
Dunkaroos
Hi. I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me whether I'm correct or not. :smile:

1. An open pipe (open at both ends) and a closed pipe (closed at one end) are the same length. If an organ blows air across the top of each pipe, what is true of the frequency (and pitch) of the sound produced?
A) the pitch you hear will be the same
B) the pitch of the closed pipe will be higher
C) the pitch of the open pipe will be higher (my answer)

2. In a vibration spectrum (frequency (x-axis) vs amplitude (y-axis) graph) for a plucked string, why are there spaces between the lines? Why are most frequencies zero amplitudes?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
1. You can actually try this out with a plastic straw. Also, you can make a diagram and figure out the wavelengths with relation to one another. So, yes, you are correct ;)

Hi there! I can confirm that your answer for the first question is correct. The pitch of the open pipe will be higher than the closed pipe because the open pipe allows for more air to vibrate and create a higher frequency.

As for the second question, the spaces between the lines on the vibration spectrum represent the different harmonics of the string. These are the different frequencies that the string can vibrate at, and they are spaced apart based on the fundamental frequency of the string. The zero amplitudes represent the frequencies that the string does not vibrate at, as they do not correspond to any of its harmonics. This is why they appear as gaps in the spectrum. I hope this helps clarify things for you!

1. What is the relationship between pitch and organ pipes?

Pitch is the perceived frequency of a sound, and it is directly related to the length and diameter of an organ pipe. Longer and wider pipes produce lower pitches, while shorter and narrower pipes produce higher pitches.

2. How does the vibration spectrum affect the physics of music?

The vibration spectrum refers to the different frequencies and amplitudes of vibrations that make up a sound. In music, the vibration spectrum determines the pitch, timbre, and intensity of a sound, and it is essential in creating different musical notes and tones.

3. Can you explain the physics behind how pitch is produced in musical instruments?

Pitch is produced in musical instruments through the vibration of the instrument's strings, air columns, or membranes. The frequency of these vibrations determines the pitch of the sound produced. For example, in a string instrument, shorter and tighter strings vibrate at a higher frequency, producing a higher pitch.

4. How does the physics of music relate to the human perception of sound?

The physics of music plays a crucial role in how humans perceive sound. Different frequencies and amplitudes of vibrations create different pitches and intensities, which our ears and brain interpret as different sounds. Additionally, the physical properties of musical instruments affect the timbre or quality of the sound produced, which also impacts our perception of music.

5. Can you give an example of how physics is applied in the production of music?

One example of how physics is applied in music production is through the use of equalization (EQ) in sound mixing. EQ is used to adjust the frequency spectrum of a sound, altering its pitch and timbre. By manipulating the frequency spectrum, sound engineers can create a balanced mix of different instruments and vocals, resulting in a more pleasing and cohesive sound.