Generator Power Output: 17.038 KW/60 RPM - Is it 61336.8 KWH?

• Thread starter ENRG
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Output
In summary: I was sort of busy making my own...In summary, the conversation discusses the production of power by a generator that is rotated by a 2000 ft lb per second source at 60 RPM. It is agreed that this produces 17.038 KW of power, but there is confusion about whether this is per second or per hour. It is clarified that kW and kWh are different units, with kWh representing the total production over a given number of hours. The conversation ends with a humorous acknowledgement of a mistake made.
ENRG
Hi everybody:

Help me out with this if you don't mind.

A 2000 ft lb per second source rotates a generator shaft at 60 RPM; It is generally agreed (not by everyone) that this produces 17.038 KW of power.

What is not clear is if this is 17.038 KW per SECOND then the total HOURLY power would be calculated : 17.038KW *60* 60= 61336.8 KWH.

Some say that the total production of this generator is 17.038 KWH (IN ONE HOUR)

What say you?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
kWH = kW * H

EDIT -- removed the confusion which then followed...

Last edited:
ENRG said:
A 2000 ft lb per second source rotates a generator shaft at 60 RPM; It is generally agreed (not by everyone) that this produces 17.038 KW of power.

What is not clear is if this is 17.038 KW per SECOND then the total HOURLY power would be calculated : 17.038KW *60* 60= 61336.8 KWH.

Some say that the total production of this generator is 17.038 KWH (IN ONE HOUR)

What say you?
Yikes - you have to know what a kW and a kWh are. Check the units: Since the "h" is hours, kW * h = kWh

kW is kilojoules per second, but don't let that confuse you - if you want kWh, you just need the kW and the number of hours.

russ_watters said:
Yikes - you have to know what a kW and a kWh are. Check the units: Since the "h" is hours, kW * h = kWh

kW is kilojoules per second, but don't let that confuse you - if you want kWh, you just need the kW and the number of hours.

Yikes is right. :tongue2: Thanks for catching my error Russ. I'll edit my post to remove the confusion.

Shoot. To late to see the confusing goodies.

berkeman said:
Yikes is right. :tongue2: Thanks for catching my error Russ. I'll edit my post to remove the confusion.
:uhh: Riiiiight...your error... um, I guess I should have read your post...

1. How is generator power output measured?

The power output of a generator is typically measured in kilowatts (KW) or megawatts (MW) and is a measure of the amount of electrical energy that the generator can produce per unit of time.

2. What does the number 17.038 KW/60 RPM mean?

This indicates that the generator has a power output of 17.038 KW at a rotational speed of 60 revolutions per minute (RPM). This is the maximum power output that the generator can produce at this specific speed.

3. Is 61336.8 KWH the total amount of energy produced?

No, 61336.8 KWH (kilowatt-hours) is the unit of energy that the generator can produce in one hour at its maximum power output. The total amount of energy produced will depend on how long the generator is running at this power output.

4. What factors affect the generator power output?

There are several factors that can affect the power output of a generator, including the type and size of the generator, the type of fuel used, the efficiency of the generator, and external factors such as temperature and altitude.

5. Can the generator power output be increased?

In general, the power output of a generator is determined by its design and cannot be increased beyond its rated capacity. However, some generators may have the capability to be modified or upgraded to increase their power output. It is important to consult the manufacturer or a professional for any modifications or upgrades to avoid damaging the generator.