My PC Stopped Working After Power Outage - What Could Be the Problem?

• Thread starter pivoxa15
  • Start date
  • Tags
    pc Power
In summary, the conversation discussed a problem with a 6-year-old PC that stopped working after a power blackout. The monitor still turns on but there is no display. The suggested solution was to unplug the power supply and wait for 10 minutes before plugging it back in. It was also mentioned that some units can lock out if they detect issues with the output lines, and the only way to turn off the lockout switch is by unplugging the supply. The conversation concluded with the issue being resolved by following the suggested solution, and an explanation was given about the theory behind the power supply lockout.
pivoxa15
My PC suddenly stopped working after a power blackout. I.e. The PC didn't turn on even after the power went back on. It is as if it is dead.

It is about 6 years old. What could be the problem? The monitor still turns on but obviously no pictures just a blank screen. Would could be the problem? Could the processor had been 'over clocked' so its life time was reached?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Chances are your power supply got damaged.
Unplug it, wait 10 minutes, then plug it back in.
Some units can lock out.

If that doesn't help then replacing the power supply might fix things up.
Depends on if anything else got damaged.

Thanks for the advice, it worked by pluging it back in after a while. So you were most likely right about the damage to the power supply.

Could you possibly explain some of the theory behind what just happened? What do you mean by some units can lock out?

If the power supply detects that one or more output lines are not maintained within specified limits then a circuit is activated that shuts the oscillators down.

This condition will remain until the supply is unplugged and all stored charge dissipates (the only way to turn off the lockout switch).

If there is a permanent problem then the circuit will get reactivated when you try to turn the power supply back on.

Since it works now, all is good. :smile:

1. What causes a PC to stop working after a power outage?

There are several potential causes for a PC to stop working after a power outage. It could be due to a power surge or fluctuation during the outage, which can damage the internal components of the computer. It could also be caused by a power supply failure or damage to the motherboard. In some cases, the sudden loss of power can corrupt the operating system or damage important system files.

2. How can I determine the extent of the damage to my PC after a power outage?

The best way to determine the extent of the damage is to try turning on the computer. If it does not turn on at all, it could indicate a more serious issue such as a damaged power supply or motherboard. If it turns on but does not function properly, it could be a sign of corrupted files or damaged components. It is best to seek professional help if you are unsure or uncomfortable diagnosing the issue yourself.

3. Can a power outage cause permanent damage to my PC?

In some cases, a power outage can cause permanent damage to a PC. This is especially true if the power outage was caused by a power surge or if the computer was not properly shut down before the outage. It is important to have surge protectors and backup power sources in place to prevent damage from power outages.

4. What steps can I take to prevent my PC from being damaged by power outages?

To prevent your PC from being damaged by power outages, it is important to have surge protectors in place to protect against power surges. You can also invest in a backup power source, such as an uninterruptible power supply (UPS), to ensure your computer stays on during short power outages. It is also a good idea to properly shut down your computer before a planned power outage.

5. What should I do if my PC stops working after a power outage?

If your PC stops working after a power outage, the first step is to try turning it on to see if it is functioning properly. If it does not turn on or is not functioning properly, it is best to seek professional help to diagnose and repair the issue. Trying to fix the issue yourself could potentially cause further damage. It is important to have a backup of your important files in case of a power outage or other computer malfunction.