Work and Energy with Electricity

In summary, a 0.010-kg positively-charged particle is accelerated by a uniform electric field, increasing its velocity from 5.0 to 15.0 m/s over a distance of 0.10 m. The change in electric potential energy of the particle is positive, as the work done by the electric field is 1 Joule. Using the Law of Conservation of Energy, it can be determined that the change in potential energy is equal to the change in kinetic energy, and the field and distance can be used to find the magnitude of q.
xxkbxx

Homework Statement

A 0.010-kg positively-charged particle is accelerated by a uniform electric field directed to the right. The object accelerates from 5.0 to 15.0 m/s while traveling a distance of 0.10 m.

Use the definition of potential energy to determine the change in electric potential energy of the particle. Is the change an increase or a decrease?

Homework Equations

Wel = Kf - Ki
Wel = -Delta-U
Delta-V = W/q0

The Attempt at a Solution

The definition of electric potential is equal to -delta-U / q0
Delta-U is negative because the work of the problem from Electric Field comes out to 1 Joule from the definition of work. So, delta-U is -1 J, meaning that the electric potential change is positive since q0 is positive - but I cannot figure out how to find q0's magnitude. I'm pretty sure I'm missing something from the given to determine the value of q0, but I'm otherwise stumped!

Physics news on Phys.org
you know the change in KE, use that to find the change in U and q

How do they compare? I cannot find an equation in my textbook related U and q to the Change in Kinetic Energy.

Law of Conservation of Energy, what its lost in potential it has gained in kinetic. U=qdeltaV

Still though, I know U, but I don't know my q or delta-V values. Let me know if I'm overlooking something obvious that you're assuming that I know!

You know the field and the distance it acts over

Gotcha, it looks a lot better after a nights rest, I kept thinking it was Electric Potential, not Electric Potential Energy

1. What is the relationship between work and energy when dealing with electricity?

The relationship between work and energy in the context of electricity is that work is the transfer of energy from one form to another. When electricity flows through a circuit, it does work by transferring energy from the source to the load.

2. How is electrical energy converted into other forms of energy?

Electrical energy can be converted into other forms of energy through various devices such as motors, generators, and transformers. Motors convert electrical energy into mechanical energy, generators convert mechanical energy into electrical energy, and transformers change the voltage of electrical energy.

3. What factors affect the amount of work done by an electrical system?

The amount of work done by an electrical system is affected by the voltage, current, and time. A higher voltage and current will result in more work being done, while a longer time will result in more energy being transferred, thus more work being done.

4. How is energy efficiency related to work and electricity?

Energy efficiency is the ratio of output energy to input energy in a system. In the context of work and electricity, it measures how much of the electrical energy is being converted into the desired form of energy. A more efficient system will result in less energy being wasted and more work being done.

5. Can work be done without the presence of electricity?

Yes, work can be done without the presence of electricity. For example, a person can manually lift an object without using any electrical energy. However, in most cases, electricity is used to power machines and devices that do work, making it more convenient and efficient.