Integration by parts with my work

In summary, to integrate arctan(1/x), we can use integration by parts and let u = arctan(1/x) and dv = dx. This will require calculating du and v and then using the formula for integration by parts. Alternatively, we can use the fact that arctan(1/x) = arccot(x) and proceed from there.
mpgcbball

Homework Statement

integrate arctan(1/x)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

z=arctan(1/x)
dx=-dz(x^2-1)

now its the integral of z(x^2-1)dz

let u =X^2-1
du=2x
dv=-udu
v=-u^2/2

integral=(x^2-1)(-u^2/2) - int (-u^2)(2x)

this is where i got stuck but i think I am doing the z substitution incorrectly. is it even necessary to sub z?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You got stuck because you're trying to integrate the term z(x^2-1)dz which has x's and z's in it!

We want to calculate [tex]\int\tan^{-1}(1/x)dx[/tex]. Do this by parts, and take u=arctan(1/x) and dv=dx. You need to then calculate du and v, and use the usual integration by parts forumla: [tex]\int udv= uv-\int vdu[/tex]

(Alternatively, you could note that arctan(1/x)=arccot(x) and proceed from here)

Last edited:

1. What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a mathematical technique used to evaluate an integral by breaking it down into simpler integrals. It involves choosing two parts of the integrand, one to be differentiated and the other to be integrated.

2. When is integration by parts used?

Integration by parts is typically used to evaluate integrals that involve products of functions, or integrals that cannot be solved using other integration techniques such as substitution or partial fractions.

3. How do I choose which parts to differentiate and integrate?

When using integration by parts, it is important to choose parts that will simplify the original integral. Generally, you want to choose the part that will become simpler after being differentiated, and the part that will become simpler after being integrated.

4. What is the formula for integration by parts?

The formula for integration by parts is:
∫ u dv = uv - ∫ v du
where u is the part of the integrand that is differentiated and v is the part that is integrated.

5. Can integration by parts be used for definite integrals?

Yes, integration by parts can be used for both indefinite and definite integrals. However, when using it for definite integrals, the formula needs to be adjusted to include the limits of integration.