Advice on undergraduate summer research positions

In summary, the author is looking for a research position and has contacted professors in the fields of structural and solid mechanics. He has a few tentative interviews scheduled, but is worried about the workload. He is also considering a research position at another university.
teknodude
During last 2 weeks I've been running around asking (mostly e-mailing cause they are rarely in their offices) professors in the fields of solid and structural mechanics for research positions. I got a late start cause I didn't know when to start looking for positions. Turns out at my college 6th week is really late.

Some of my friends pointed out that I'm also taking 2 courses which is 8 units, feedback control systems and an intro to deformable solids. Is it possible to do summer class and research without killiing myself? They think its big load for the summer.

Also one minor thought that I've been thinking about. I've been in contact with 3 professors that might offer a position.

Prof. #1- Says I might be just helping around. Actually has no Lab, so it was recommended by a grad student and one of my professors to not work with him.
Prof. #2- Says his Grad students are getting really busy, but asked if I was good with powerpoint.
Prof. #3- Actually on sabbatical, but he contacted some people in his lab and asked if anyone wanted to work with me. From what I hear I'll be working with one of his post grad researchers.

#3 looks promising but the professor won't even be there...

This quarter is so hectic, other than scrambling looking for research, I got 3 weeks to find another place to live:frown:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i wouldn't worry too much about the professor not being there. my experience and from what I've heard from others the bulk of "lab work" usually gets performed by the grad students, while the professor oversees the research project and works on acquiring funding.

eep said:
i wouldn't worry too much about the professor not being there. my experience and from what I've heard from others the bulk of "lab work" usually gets performed by the grad students, while the professor oversees the research project and works on acquiring funding.

That's good to hear. BTW how's your research position coming along?

very good. i have this week off then start working on the research full time for the entire summer. I'm hoping to get a lot done.

1. What are the benefits of participating in an undergraduate summer research program?

Participating in an undergraduate summer research program can provide numerous benefits, including gaining hands-on experience in a research setting, developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills, building a strong network of mentors and peers, and potentially increasing your chances of being accepted into graduate school or obtaining a job in your chosen field.

2. How do I find and apply for undergraduate summer research positions?

There are a few different ways to find and apply for undergraduate summer research positions. You can reach out to professors or researchers at your university who are conducting research in your field of interest and inquire about available positions. You can also search for summer research programs offered by other universities or organizations, which often have their own application processes. Additionally, some universities have centralized databases or resources for undergraduate research opportunities.

3. What qualifications do I need to have for an undergraduate summer research position?

The qualifications needed for an undergraduate summer research position will vary depending on the specific program or position. Generally, you should have a strong academic record, relevant coursework, and a strong interest in the research topic. Some programs may also require letters of recommendation or previous research experience.

4. Can I get paid for participating in an undergraduate summer research program?

Many undergraduate summer research programs offer some form of compensation, such as a stipend, housing, or travel expenses. However, some programs may be unpaid, particularly if they are part of a university or academic research program. It's important to carefully review the program details and requirements before applying.

5. How can I make the most of my undergraduate summer research experience?

To make the most of your undergraduate summer research experience, it's important to be proactive and engaged in your work. This includes asking questions, seeking feedback and guidance from your mentors, and taking advantage of any networking opportunities. You should also aim to develop important skills, such as time management, data analysis, and technical writing, and consider presenting your research at conferences or publishing your findings. Most importantly, be open to learning and embracing new challenges during your research experience.