Red iceberg causes a stir in Greenland

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary: Aklo, an artist with 780 gallons of red paint, three fire hoses and a 20-member crew at his disposal went to Greenland in search of a blank canvas large enough to accommodate his creative impulse. The result is a blood-red iceberg now sitting off the country’s western coast. In summary, the artist went to Greenland in search of a blank canvas and found one off the country’s western coast. The painting is a blood-red iceberg.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
COPENHAGEN, Denmark - An artist with 780 gallons of red paint, three fire hoses and a 20-member crew at his disposal went to Greenland in search of a blank canvas large enough to accommodate his creative impulse.

The result is a blood-red iceberg now sitting off the country’s western coast. [continued]

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4602285/

040325_hmed_iceberg_1130a.h2.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks great!

OK, and the "random act of the year" award goes to THAT guy!

I woulda painted it yellow

I would have painted it white. I'm into abstract art.

tribdog said:

You really mean blue

Who ever heard "don't eat the blue snow?"

LOL I see what you mean

Ivan Seeking said:
Now that is "deep". I can hear people now "it shows change is pointless", "it shows the emptiness of being".

Red is so obvious. :wink:

...you could do a (i think) Jackson Pollock...paint it blue and then blowtorch it...actually, no, you couldnt.

Ivan Seeking said:

LOL. A few months ago my girlfriend and I were browsing an art exhibition that started off nicely with Van Goghs and such, but quickly degenerated into escalating scales of boring 'abstract' art. I said to her "I bet the next one we see will just be a blank canvas." Wouldn't you know it, soon after we came across a piece called "Presence" that was just a white, featureless canvas!

I'm mostly upset that the guy beat me to it. I could have had a piece of art displayed in a public gallery if only I had visited an exhibition a few months earlier!

It takes many years of introspection and contemplative meditation in order to appreciate that blank canvas...and don't you forget it!

hypnagogue said:
LOL. A few months ago my girlfriend and I were browsing an art exhibition that started off nicely with Van Goghs and such, but quickly degenerated into escalating scales of boring 'abstract' art. I said to her "I bet the next one we see will just be a blank canvas." Wouldn't you know it, soon after we came across a piece called "Presence" that was just a white, featureless canvas!

I'm mostly upset that the guy beat me to it. I could have had a piece of art displayed in a public gallery if only I had visited an exhibition a few months earlier!

Actually, The Joker, on the old Batman TV show beat him to it. He was pretending to be reformed, no longer caring about crime, he only cared about art. One of his masterpieces was a blank canvas. POW!

Njorl

What is a red iceberg?

A red iceberg is a type of iceberg that appears red in color due to the presence of iron oxide, also known as rust, on the surface. This is typically caused by the iceberg scraping against the ocean floor or coming in contact with iron-rich rocks during its journey through the ocean.

Why is the red iceberg causing a stir in Greenland?

The red iceberg is causing a stir in Greenland because it is a rare and unusual sight. Most icebergs are white or blue in color, so a red iceberg stands out and captures people's attention. It has also sparked curiosity and discussion among scientists and the general public about the causes and implications of its color.

How does the red color of the iceberg affect its melting process?

The red color of the iceberg does not significantly affect its melting process. The red color is only on the surface and does not change the composition or structure of the ice. Therefore, the iceberg will still melt at a similar rate as other icebergs of the same size and shape.

Is the red iceberg a sign of climate change?

No, the red iceberg is not a sign of climate change. While climate change is causing icebergs to melt at a faster rate, it is not responsible for the red color of this particular iceberg. The red color is a natural occurrence and has been observed in icebergs for decades.

Are there any potential environmental impacts of the red iceberg?

The red iceberg is not expected to have any significant environmental impacts. However, scientists are monitoring its movement and melting process to better understand its effects on the surrounding ecosystem. Additionally, the red color may attract more marine life to the area, which could potentially impact the food chain.

Back