Finding an equation of a graph

• Thread starter thestormbreaker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
In summary, the conversation is about finding an equation of a graph with two turning points at (0,0) and (60,10). The speaker is asking for multiple equations and wants to see the working out process. They also mention the importance of understanding the relationship between functions and derivatives in order to determine the function.
thestormbreaker
I need help with finding an equation of a graph. I was wondering if anyone was able to give me an equation to a graph that has a turning point at (0,0) (or a gradient of zero at (0,0)) and a turning point at (60,10). It would be great if you could show you basic working out so I can see how you came to your answer.

y=7.7*10^7 (x)^2) (x - 120)^2 This is one in quartic
y=4.6*10^-5 (x)^2 (x-120) This is one in cubic

There is more than one answer and I was hoping for as many as people could come up with.

If anyone could help it was be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
is it a one dimensional function och two dimensional?

Also you "must" show us your work done so far, your thougts and ideas so we can help you. It is no point for us just show how we would do then you copy us..

one question: what is the relationsship between function and derivative? If you know what value the derivative has at one point, how can you determine the function?

1. How do I find the equation of a straight line graph?

To find the equation of a straight line graph, you need to know two points on the line. Then, use the slope formula, which is (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1), to calculate the slope. Next, plug in the slope and one of the points into the point-slope formula, y - y1 = m(x - x1), to get the equation of the line.

2. Can I find the equation of a curved graph?

Yes, you can find the equation of a curved graph by using a process called regression analysis. This involves finding a mathematical function that best fits the data points on the graph. You can use software or a graphing calculator to perform this analysis and find the equation.

3. What if I only have the graph and no data points?

If you only have the graph and no data points, you can still estimate the equation of the graph by finding the slope and y-intercept. To find the slope, choose two points on the line and use the slope formula. Then, use the slope and one of the points to plug into the point-slope formula to get the equation. However, this method may not be as accurate as having actual data points.

4. Can I use the equation of a graph to predict future data points?

Yes, if the graph represents a relationship between two variables, you can use the equation to predict future data points. Simply plug in the desired value for one variable into the equation, and solve for the other variable. This will give you an estimated data point on the graph.

5. What if the graph is not a perfect line or curve?

If the graph is not a perfect line or curve, it may be more challenging to find the equation. In this case, you may need to use more advanced mathematical techniques, such as polynomial regression, to find the best fit equation for the data. Alternatively, you can also use a graphing calculator or software to help you find the equation.