When to Use mgcos(theta) and mgsin(theta): A Free-Body Diagram Explanation

• Thread starter SpicyRamen
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of trigonometric functions in physics, specifically mgcos(\theta) and mgsin(\theta), and how to determine which one to use in a given situation. The explanation involves visualizing a free-body diagram and using the angle between the weight and its components to determine the appropriate function to use.
SpicyRamen
I had a test in Ap physics and messed up big time (T_T") on the trig functions.
Can someone give me a thorough explanation when to use either mgcos([tex]\theta[/tex]) and when one would use mgsin([tex]\theta[/tex]) And can someone show me how to look at it through a free-body diagram?

Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll need to give us a context. For example, if you are talking about an object sliding on an incline at an angle [tex]\theta[/tex], then you can resolve its weight (which acts vertically down) into components parallel ([tex]mg\sin\theta[/tex]) and perpendicular ([tex]mg\cos\theta[/tex]) to the incline.

imagine a slope at an angle of say 30degrees(or theta) to the horizontal. you have a car on the slope moving downwards(not important). it has a weight perpendicular to the horizontal; and a contact force perpendicular to the slope, i.e. at 30degrees(or theta) to the horizontal. picture this.

now you want to break the weight into its 2 components: one will be perpendicular and the other will be parallel to the slope.

using simple mathematics the angle between the weight and the component of weight perpendicular to the slope(found below the slope) are the same. this component is the y component, while the other component, parallel to the slope, is the x component.

if you use the cosine of this angle, 30degrees(or theta), the closest component will be mg cos 30 (or mg cos theta). the component, farther, will be mg sin 30 (or mg sin theta).

now you can use the angle between the component parallel to the slope and the weight. this is equal to 60degrees (or 90 - theta).

if you use cosine of this angle, 60degrees (or 90 - theta), the closest component will be mg cos 60 (or mg cos (90 - theta)). the component, farther, will be mg sin 60 (or mg sin (90 - theta)).

you really need to visualize it to understand, i couldn't upload the diagram.

and i used weight as example. and this is a simple way to know which is sin and which is cos. the logic behind this is found by using trigonometrial reasoning i guess.

1. What is the significance of "Mgcos(theta), mgsin(theta)" in scientific research?

The expression "Mgcos(theta), mgsin(theta)" is commonly used in physics and engineering to represent the force of gravity on an object that is on an incline. "Mg" represents the mass of the object, "g" represents the acceleration due to gravity, and "cos(theta)" and "sin(theta)" represent the components of the force vector in the direction of the incline and perpendicular to the incline, respectively.

2. How does "Mgcos(theta), mgsin(theta)" relate to Newton's Laws of Motion?

According to Newton's Laws of Motion, an object will remain at rest or in uniform motion in a straight line unless acted upon by an external force. In the case of an object on an incline, the force of gravity represented by "Mgcos(theta), mgsin(theta)" is the external force acting on the object. This force can cause the object to accelerate down the incline, in accordance with Newton's Second Law.

3. Can "Mgcos(theta), mgsin(theta)" be used to calculate the net force on an object?

Yes, "Mgcos(theta), mgsin(theta)" can be used to calculate the net force on an object. The net force is the vector sum of all the individual forces acting on an object. In the case of an object on an incline, "Mgcos(theta), mgsin(theta)" represents the force of gravity, which is typically the only significant force acting on the object.

4. How does the angle "theta" affect the values of "Mgcos(theta), mgsin(theta)"?

The angle "theta" represents the angle of the incline and determines the direction of the force of gravity acting on the object. As the angle increases, the force of gravity acting in the direction of the incline (represented by "Mgcos(theta)") decreases, while the force acting perpendicular to the incline (represented by "mgsin(theta)") increases.

5. Can "Mgcos(theta), mgsin(theta)" be used to calculate the work done on an object?

Yes, "Mgcos(theta), mgsin(theta)" can be used to calculate the work done on an object. Work is defined as the product of force and displacement, and in the case of an object on an incline, the force of gravity is the only significant force acting on the object. Therefore, "Mgcos(theta), mgsin(theta)" can be used to calculate the work done by the force of gravity on the object as it moves along the incline.