Superposition wave values problem

In summary: You can use these values to find the slope, which represents the speed of the pulse. In summary, we are given two wave pulses on a string, with one inverted, moving towards each other at 1.0 m/s. We need to find the value of the resultant wave at x = 4.1 m at different times. The superposition principle applies and the absolute value of each pulse's height is 1 mm. The only unknowns are at t = 2.0 s and 2.5 s, which can be solved by finding the slope of pulse 2 using the given graph.
Nghi

Homework Statement

Two wave pulses on a string approach one another at the time t = 0, as shown in the figure below, except that pulse 2 is inverted so that it is a downward deflection of the string rather than an upward deflection. Each pulse moves with a speed of 1.0 m/s. Assume that the superposition principle holds for these waves, and that the absolute value of the height of each pulse is 1 mm in the figure below. Determine the value of the resultant wave at x = 4.1 m at t = 1.0 s, 2.0 s, 2.5 s, 3.0 s, and 4.0 s.

superpositionwave.jpg

Homework Equations

None? o_o

The Attempt at a Solution

Sorry to bother everyone on the same day again, but everyone is just so helpful on this forum! :) This one makes my heart sad because I don't know how to find the slope of pulse 2, which is essentially a straight line. :(

The only solutions I didn't get were t = 2.0 s and 2.5 s. But I think if I understood how to do 2.0 s, then 2.5 would be manageable.

I understand the idea of superposition, but I don't know how to apply it, I guess. Ha ha. :'( My friend mentioned something about finding the slope of pulse 2 first, but I don't know how to do that. I think it's because I'm underthinking.

Physics news on Phys.org
The slope of pulse two may be found using the graph. You know the height and the width of the pulse.

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your homework problem. I am happy to assist you in understanding the concept of superposition and applying it to this specific problem.

Superposition is a fundamental principle in physics that states that when two or more waves overlap, the resulting wave is the sum of the individual waves. In this case, we have two wave pulses approaching each other on a string. The key to solving this problem is understanding how the two pulses will interact and add together.

First, let's consider the two pulses at t = 0. Pulse 1 is an upward deflection of the string, while pulse 2 is an inverted downward deflection. This means that at x = 4.1 m, the resultant wave will have a value of 1 mm (from pulse 1) minus the value of pulse 2 at that point. To find the value of pulse 2 at x = 4.1 m, we need to determine the slope of the line representing pulse 2. This can be done by calculating the change in y (deflection) over the change in x (distance). In this case, we can see that the change in y is -1 mm (since pulse 2 is inverted) and the change in x is 4.1 m, so the slope of pulse 2 is -1 mm / 4.1 m = -0.24 mm/m.

Now, let's look at the values of the resultant wave at different times. At t = 1.0 s, both pulses will have moved 1.0 m (since they are moving at a speed of 1.0 m/s). This means that the value of pulse 1 at x = 4.1 m will be 0 mm (since it has moved beyond that point), and the value of pulse 2 at x = 4.1 m will be -0.24 mm/m * 1.0 m = -0.24 mm. Therefore, the resultant wave at x = 4.1 m will have a value of 0 mm - (-0.24 mm) = 0.24 mm.

At t = 2.0 s, pulse 1 will have moved 2.0 m and pulse 2 will have moved 1.0 m. This means that the value of pulse 1 at x = 4.1 m will be -

1. What is the "Superposition wave values problem"?

The Superposition wave values problem is a concept in physics that involves the combination of two or more waves to form a new wave. This new wave is the result of the individual waves overlapping and adding together, creating a complex pattern of amplitudes and frequencies.

2. How does superposition affect wave behavior?

Superposition can have a significant impact on the behavior of waves. When two or more waves with the same frequency and amplitude overlap, they can reinforce each other, resulting in constructive interference. On the other hand, if the waves have opposite amplitudes, they can cancel each other out, resulting in destructive interference.

3. What is the principle of superposition?

The principle of superposition states that when two or more waves meet at a point in space, the resulting displacement at that point will be equal to the sum of the individual displacements of each wave. This principle is fundamental in understanding the behavior of waves and is applicable to various fields, including optics, acoustics, and electromagnetism.

4. What is the difference between superposition and interference?

Superposition and interference are closely related concepts, but they are not the same. Superposition refers to the combination of two or more waves to form a new wave, while interference specifically refers to the resulting pattern when waves overlap and interact with each other. Interference can be either constructive or destructive, depending on the relative amplitudes of the waves.

5. How is superposition wave values problem used in practical applications?

The principle of superposition has many practical applications in various fields. In optics, it is used to create holograms and diffraction patterns. In acoustics, it is used to create noise-canceling headphones. In quantum mechanics, superposition is a fundamental principle that explains the behavior of subatomic particles. It also has applications in telecommunications, signal processing, and image processing.