Exploring the Nature of Electric Charge

In summary: Jul 2004 (UTC)In summary, electric charge is a fundamental property of subatomic particles that determines their interaction with electromagnetic fields. It is similar to mass causing gravity and is a key component of the electromagnetic force. This information can be found in the second section of a web page discussing the laws of electrodynamics.
rondi
hi there,
i've read books and some web sites and I'm wondering this electric charge? Is it something physical (compose of matter)? some say its the one causing the electric field,
by analogy, is it like mass has something to do with gravity?
thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Yea you can draw the same analogy as mass causing gravity. Here, a charge emanates an electric field.

rondi said:
hi there,
i've read books and some web sites and I'm wondering this electric charge? Is it something physical (compose of matter)? some say its the one causing the electric field,
thank you

You're lucky. I just finished a web page which contains a definition of electric charge. See
http://www.geocities.com/physics_world/em/laws_of_electrodynamics.htm

Go to the second section which is entitled "Charge."

Pete

rondi said:
hi there,
thank you
Electric charge is a fundamental conserved property of some subatomic particles, which determines their electromagnetic interaction. Electrically charged matter is influenced by, and produces, electromagnetic fields. The interaction between a moving charge and an electromagnetic field is the source of the electromagnetic force, which is one of the four fundamental forces. I hope it was a good help . Richard 14

Last edited:

1. What is electric charge?

Electric charge is a fundamental property of matter that causes it to experience a force when placed in an electric field. It can be positive or negative, and is measured in units of Coulombs (C).

2. How is electric charge created?

Electric charge is created by the movement of electrons. When electrons move from one atom to another, they leave behind an imbalance of positive and negative charges, creating a net charge on the object.

3. What is the difference between static and current electricity?

Static electricity refers to the buildup of electric charge on an object, while current electricity refers to the flow of electric charge through a conductive material. Static electricity is typically the result of friction, while current electricity is often generated by a power source.

4. How does electric charge interact with other forces?

Electric charge can interact with other forces, such as gravity and magnetism. For example, charged particles can be affected by both electric and magnetic fields, and the interaction between electric and magnetic fields can produce electromagnetic waves.

5. What is the role of electric charge in everyday life?

Electric charge plays a crucial role in many everyday devices and technologies, such as cell phones, computers, and household appliances. It is also essential for the functioning of the human body, as nerve impulses and muscle contractions are controlled by electric charges.