What is the speed of the comet when it crosses the Earth's orbit?

In summary: In terms of magnitude, Vc is equal to (GMs/Re)^2. So, in terms of magnitude, the comet has a speed equal to (Re x mv) when it crosses Earth's orbit. However, in terms of direction, the comet has a speed perpendicular to r when it crosses Earth's orbit.
karnten07

Homework Statement

There is a system of 3 bodies, consisting of the sun, the Earth and a comet. When the comet is at perihelion it is at a distance half that of the Earth's orbital radius. At this point it has a speed twice that of the earth's. Ignore the gravitational forces between the Earth and the comet.

What is the orbital speed of the comet when it crosses the Earth's orbit (should be given in terms of Ve)? What is the angle at which the orbit's cross?

Will the comet escape from the solar system, never to return?

Where Ve is the orbital speed of the earth.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

By considering conservation of angular momentum, i get:

[L] = [L of comet at Earth's orbital radius] = [L of comet at perihelion]
[L] = [Re x mv] = [Re/2 xm2Ve]

where Re is the radius of the earth, and the square brackets show it is magnitude we are considering. From this i get the perpendicular speed of the comet when crossing Earth's orbit with respect to the position vector r as Ve. But i want to know the tangential speed of the comet at this point.
Any ideas how to do this?

I was told to use conservation of angular momentum and conservation of energy in working out this problem.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For conservation of energy, i get

using k = GMm

(m/2Ve^2)/2 - k/(r/2) = (mVc^2)/2 - k/r

where vc is the tangential speed of the comet and is what i want to find. I am given the data for G, M and r (the Earth's orbital radius). But the question wants Vc in terms of Ve and i was also told that i could get rid of the GMm/r terms somehow. I think there was a mention of centrifugal forces enabling me to get rid of the terms.

Please any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Hey,

Your steps seem good. However, I'm not too sure about how to solve this either :/ . Hopefully someone else will come along and give you some more help.

-PFStudent

Consider the Earth to move in a circular orbit. This will give you ve squared in terms of G,Ms (sun) and Re (earth).

What is a comet elliptical orbit?

A comet elliptical orbit is the path that a comet takes around the sun. Unlike planets, comets have highly eccentric orbits, meaning they are elongated and not circular.

Why do comets have elliptical orbits?

Comets have elliptical orbits because they originate from the outer edges of our solar system, where their gravitational interactions with larger planets and other bodies cause their orbits to become elongated.

How long does it take for a comet to complete one orbit?

The time it takes for a comet to complete one orbit around the sun varies greatly depending on the size and shape of its orbit. Some comets have orbits that take hundreds or even thousands of years to complete, while others have shorter orbits of only a few years.

What happens to a comet when it reaches the closest point to the sun in its orbit?

When a comet reaches its closest point to the sun, known as perihelion, it experiences intense heat and radiation from the sun. This can cause the comet's icy surface to sublimate, or turn directly from solid to gas, creating the iconic tail that we associate with comets.

Can a comet's elliptical orbit change over time?

Yes, a comet's orbit can change over time due to gravitational interactions with other bodies in our solar system. For example, a comet may pass close to a planet and have its orbit altered, causing it to either leave the solar system or enter a new orbit with a different shape and duration.