Does the temperature of a body depend upon the frame of the observer?

In summary: But basically, the authors say that from a frame of reference that is stationary with respect to the universe as a whole, the temperature of an object will remain the same. However, if the frame of reference is moving with respect to the universe, the temperature of the object will change. There is some ambiguity around what constitutes a "moving frame of reference", but in general, if the frame of reference is moving with respect to other objects in the universe, then the temperature of the object will change.
miss photon
does the temperature of a body depend upon the frame of reference from which it is observed?

Science news on Phys.org
I believe it does... Remember the red (or blue-) shift...

Xanth

I think not at all. From Earth, you can see the Sun and the Moon at appr. 0.5 degree in visual angle, but they are very different in size. The red/blue shift is just the same.

But that's a special case of two very close objects. In the general, universal, case, the shift has to be taken into account.

Astronomers have measured temperature of lots of stars far away no matter they move away or towards us. So the idea: temperature is changing because of moving frame has no meaning.

pixel01 said:
I think not at all. From Earth, you can see the Sun and the Moon at appr. 0.5 degree in visual angle, but they are very different in size. The red/blue shift is just the same.
That's a very interesting perspective. How exactly did you think they are the same?

cesiumfrog said:
That's a very interesting perspective. How exactly did you think they are the same?

I said appr. the same. The sources are every where. You can even check yourself. What is you idea behind that?

I said appr. the same. The sources are every where. You can even check yourself. What is you idea behind that?

Yes they are, because the relative motion of the sun and moon is quite small relativistically. You're the one who brought up a bad example, so don't try to discredit the reasoning of others based on your poor judgement.

In the general case, given an object at an indeterminate distance of the observer, there is absolutely no way for the observer to ascertain the temperature of the object. He may measure a given radiation distribution, but -in the absence of a way to determine its relative velocity- he can't know the temperature.

Sojourner01 said:
Yes they are, because the relative motion of the sun and moon is quite small relativistically. You're the one who brought up a bad example, so don't try to discredit the reasoning of others based on your poor judgement.
Ohh, it's a misunderstanding. I did not mean the red/blue shift of the sun or the moon, but the apparent sizes of them are the same while they are very much different. The redshift is just some thing related to apparentness.

I don't know the answer to the OP's question, but if you are talking about observing the temperature of relativistically moving objects it would seem that you are probably talking about the question of how does the spectrum of a relativistically moving blackbody look. Clearly you have doppler redshift or blueshift on top of a time-dilation redshift, but is a blackbody spectrum at one temperature the same as a redshifted or blueshifted spectrum at another temperature?

miss photon said:
does the temperature of a body depend upon the frame of reference from which it is observed?
I would say no, by definition. Temperature is a measure of the average KE of the molecules in a frame in which the momentum is zero. Otherwise, temperature would be frame dependent.

But the apparent frequency of any emitted radiation would of course be frame dependent.

pixel01 said:
Astronomers have measured temperature of lots of stars far away no matter they move away or towards us. So the idea: temperature is changing because of moving frame has no meaning.

Astronomers first identify the fingerprint spectral lines, which tell how much the star is redshifted. They can then artificially "undo" the redshift and fit a black body curve to the modified spectrum (deducing the rest frame temperature).

If they fitted the black body curve without accounting for redshift, they would get a different temperature. It's wrong to say this different temperature has no physical meaning, since, for example, basically it would be the temperature of a local system instantaneously in thermal equilibrium to the receding heat bath.

pixel01 said:
the apparent sizes of [the sun and moon] are the same while [the actual sizes] are very much different. The redshift is just some thing related to apparentness.

Look, I agree with your conclusion (much like Doc Al has now written, the classical concept of temperature as the variance in velocity and as a state variable suggests observer independence), just don't follow your reasoning.

Last edited:
I'm firmly with DocAl on this. The temperature is an internal measurement based upon molecular motion. To an outside observer (different frame), the only clue as to that temperature might be blue/red/neutral shifted according to the relative motion of the frames. If one knows the relative motion of those frames, then the temperature of one might be calculated from the other.

so the conclusion is that temp is independent of frame of reference?

miss photon said:
so the conclusion is that temp is independent of frame of reference?

There is an article in J Fluid Mech(1983), 136, pp 423-433 discussing the frame independence of temperature. This is the stuff that made poor Ludwig tie the knot.

1. How does the temperature of a body change when observed from different frames?

The temperature of a body does not change when observed from different frames. Temperature is an intrinsic property of a body and is independent of the observer's frame.

2. Can the temperature of a body appear different to different observers?

No, the temperature of a body is a measurable quantity and will be the same for all observers regardless of their frame.

3. Is the temperature of a body affected by its motion in relation to an observer?

No, the temperature of a body is not affected by its motion in relation to an observer. The observed temperature may change due to other factors such as heat transfer, but the intrinsic temperature of the body remains the same.

4. Can the temperature of a body be measured differently from different frames?

No, the temperature of a body can be measured using the same standard methods regardless of the observer's frame. The measured value may appear different due to different units of measurement, but the intrinsic temperature remains the same.

5. Does the temperature of a body change when observed from a moving frame?

No, the temperature of a body remains the same when observed from a moving frame. The apparent change in temperature may be due to factors such as Doppler effect, but the intrinsic temperature remains constant.