Need help understanding KE rotation

• Thread starter kurosaki69
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rotation
In summary, the conversation discussed the use of the formula for rotational kinetic energy and how it can be translated into (1/2) v^2/r^2. There was a question about the meaning of v in the equation and it was clarified that it represents the tangential velocity of a point on the rotating body. The conversation also mentioned an example of a rolling wheel to illustrate this concept.
kurosaki69
i used the formula for KE rotation KE=(1/2)Iw^2 and i translated it to (1/2) v^2/r^2, but i wanted to know what does the v in the equation stand for. is it initial velocity or velocity of center of mass. if its is the velocity of center of mass can u tell me how to solve for it

Physics news on Phys.org
Whether you know it or not, you made use of the relation [itex]v = \omega r[/itex], where v is the tangential velocity of some point on the rotating body and r is its distance from the axis.

ok thanks a lot my other question is what if the rotating object was rolling down a incline and it started at rest. would the velocity be the velocity of center mass of the object that is being rolled.

Let's take an example: A wheel, with radius r, rolls without slipping along some surface. The speed of its center with respect to the surface will be equal to the tangential speed of its rim with respect to its center.

1. What is KE rotation?

KE rotation, also known as rotational kinetic energy, is the energy an object possesses due to its rotational motion.

2. How is KE rotation calculated?

KE rotation is calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * I * ω^2, where I is the moment of inertia and ω is the angular velocity.

3. What factors affect KE rotation?

The factors that affect KE rotation include the object's mass, shape, and rotational speed.

4. How does KE rotation differ from KE translation?

KE rotation is the energy of an object due to its rotational motion, while KE translation is the energy of an object due to its linear motion.

5. Why is understanding KE rotation important?

Understanding KE rotation is important because it helps us understand the energy involved in rotational motion, which is crucial in fields such as engineering, physics, and mechanics.