AC vs DC Generated Magnetic Field

In summary, the topic of discussion is about the relation between the strength of a magnetic field when applying AC and DC current to a coil. The speaker is seeking a formula to determine how much AC current is needed to achieve the same field strength as a given amount of DC current. It is noted that the peak strength is the same for both types of current, but the AC current alternates while the DC current remains constant.
cesaredu13
Good day to all, ia was trying to find info about thid topic in internet and i didn't find nothing , hope somebody can help me.

How can i find the relation between the strength of a magnetic field when i apply AC current and DC current to a coil.

in other words, how much AC current do i have to apply to a coil to have the same field strength that when i apply an x amount of DC current, in any defined point of space.

Does anybody knows a formula for this.

thanks in advanced for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
It's the same. Current is current, AC or DC. The difference is in whether the field pulses once, or rotates. The peak strength is the same.

So is the same thing to apply 10 DC amps that 10 Amp rms sinosoidal signal ?

cesaredu13 said:
So is the same thing to apply 10 DC amps that 10 Amp rms sinosoidal signal ?

You can't really compare the two unless for a specific task, i.e., lifting a 100 lb weight. The 10 A dc will be constant. The 10 A ac will alternate from -14.14 A to + 14.14 A and the field will follow.

1. What is the difference between AC and DC generated magnetic fields?

AC (alternating current) generated magnetic fields constantly change direction and strength, while DC (direct current) generated magnetic fields have a constant direction and strength.

2. Which type of generated magnetic field is more commonly used?

AC generated magnetic fields are more commonly used because they can be easily transformed into different voltages, making them more versatile for different uses.

3. How do AC and DC generated magnetic fields affect electronic devices differently?

AC generated magnetic fields can cause interference and noise in electronic devices, while DC generated magnetic fields do not have this effect.

4. Can AC and DC generated magnetic fields be used in the same applications?

Yes, both types of generated magnetic fields can be used in similar applications such as motors, generators, and transformers. However, the specific type used may depend on the application's needs.

5. How do AC and DC generated magnetic fields affect living organisms?

There is currently no scientific evidence to suggest that AC or DC generated magnetic fields have any harmful effects on living organisms. However, prolonged exposure to high levels of either type of magnetic field may cause discomfort or health issues in some individuals.