Is My Thinking Wrong About Convergent or Divergent?

In summary: I merely wanted to know which test I was using wrong, if you care to explain why the p series test does not apply, it'd be appreciated.
Shenlong08
For lim n->infinity n^-(1+1/n), the p series test shows that it converges since (1+1/n) will be greater than 1, while doing a limit comparison test with 1/n gives 1 showing that it diverges since 1/n diverges. For which one is my thinking wrong about?

Physics news on Phys.org
well you cannot actually compare this to the harmonic series 1/n, since

[tex]\frac{1}{n^{1+\frac{1}{n}}}= \frac{1}{n n^{\frac{1}{n}}}[/tex] now since

[tex]n^{\frac{1}{n}}>= 1[/tex], you can prove this using induction!

we get:

[tex]\frac{1}{n^{1+\frac{1}{n}}}= \frac{1}{n n^{\frac{1}{n}}}=<\frac{1}{n}[/tex]

so the divergence of 1/n tells you nothing about the series [tex]\frac{1}{n^{1+\frac{1}{n}}}[/tex]

I'm not comparing the sequence by the above/below method, I'm saying if I compare it to the harmonic series through a ratio, then

lim n-> infinity [ n*n^(1/n) ] / n

lim n-> infinity n^(1/n)

lim n-> infinity (1/n) ln(n)

lim n-> infinity 1/n ...l'hopitals'

= 0 -> e^0=1

and if n->infinity converges to a finite number > 0, then they must either both converge or both diverge.

What is the derivative of 1/n when n=1,2,3,4,5,... ?
And i do not see at all how you are comparing it to the harmonic series, all i see is comparing to a series n.

Last edited:
The derivative was taken from the line (1/n)ln(n). 1/n was evaluated as 0.

1/n / 1/[ n*n^(1/n) ] (sorry i don't know how to make it more clear)

Shenlong08 said:
For lim n->infinity n^-(1+1/n), the p series test shows that it converges since (1+1/n) will be greater than 1, while doing a limit comparison test with 1/n gives 1 showing that it diverges since 1/n diverges. For which one is my thinking wrong about?

I'm not fully sure what is the theorem you are using, but I have a guess about your mistake. It is not going to be sufficient to have [itex]1+\frac{1}{n}>1[/itex] for convergence, you would need to have [itex]1+\frac{1}{n}>p[/itex] with some fixed [itex]p>1[/itex], which in this case is not true.

jostpuur said:
I'm not fully sure what is the theorem you are using, but I have a guess about your mistake. It is not going to be sufficient to have [itex]1+\frac{1}{n}>1[/itex] for convergence, you would need to have [itex]1+\frac{1}{n}>p[/itex] with some fixed [itex]p>1[/itex], which in this case is not true.
The p-series is given by
sigma 1/n^p = 1/1p + 1/2p + 1/3p + ...
where p > 0 by definition.
If p > 1, then the series converges.
If 0 < p <= 1 then the series diverges.

jostpuur said:

Why wouldn't 1+1/n>1 be sufficient?

How has this thread lasted so long?! By the limit comparison test with the harmonic series. we find this series clearly diverges, if you are not familiar with this test look in any calculus book in the sections about convergence of series.

Edit: This is covered in volume one of Apostol on page 396, this is the only calculus text I have readiy available, but I know this test will be covered in nearly all calculus texts.

Last edited:
I merely wanted to know which test I was using wrong, if you care to explain why the p series test does not apply, it'd be appreciated.

jostpuur gave a reason, which if you verified, would be great.

Last edited:
I think the p series test does not apply because it applies only on those cases where p-is merely a constant, that is the power is a constant, while on your problem you have on the power 1+1/n, so this changes also with the change on n, which means that it is not a constant!

sutupidmath is answering his own question now. It could be I can make it even clearer. So you know that

[tex]
\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n^p}
[/tex]

converges if [itex]p>1[/itex]. It follows, that if [itex]a_n[/itex] is a sequence so that [itex]a_n>p>1[/itex], then

[tex]
\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n^{a_n}}
[/tex]

converges too, because

[tex]
\frac{1}{n^{a_n}} \leq \frac{1}{n^p}\quad\quad\forall n
[/tex]

Then suppose you have a sequence [itex]a_n[/itex] so that [itex]a_n>1[/itex] and [itex]\lim_{n\to\infty} a_n = 1[/itex]. Can you explain why

[tex]
\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n^{a_n}}
[/tex]

would converge now? Can you put some convergent series above it? You cannot. So, there's no reason to believe why this series would converge. The example of the OP is a counter example, that proofs that series like this indeed do not necessarily converge.

jostpuur said:
sutupidmath is answering his own question now.
Yeah, indeed i answered my own question! I was confused for a moment!:redface:

1. What is the difference between convergent and divergent?

Convergent and divergent are two types of evolution. Convergent evolution occurs when two unrelated species develop similar traits due to similar environments, while divergent evolution occurs when a single species evolves into two or more distinct species due to different environmental pressures.

2. How do scientists determine if a species has undergone convergent or divergent evolution?

Scientists use a combination of genetic, anatomical, and behavioral evidence to determine if a species has undergone convergent or divergent evolution. This can include comparing DNA sequences, analyzing physical structures, and observing behaviors in different species.

3. Can a species undergo both convergent and divergent evolution?

Yes, a species can undergo both convergent and divergent evolution. For example, a species may develop similar physical characteristics to another species (convergent evolution) while also evolving into distinct subspecies due to different environmental pressures (divergent evolution).

4. What are some examples of convergent and divergent evolution?

An example of convergent evolution is the development of wings in birds, bats, and insects. These species are not closely related, but all evolved wings to adapt to their environment. An example of divergent evolution is the Galapagos finches, which evolved into different species with distinct beak shapes due to different food sources on each island.

5. How does convergent or divergent evolution impact species diversity?

Convergent and divergent evolution both contribute to species diversity. Convergent evolution can lead to the development of new species with similar traits, while divergent evolution can lead to the development of multiple distinct species. This increases the overall diversity of life on Earth.