Transfer function to impulse response

In summary, the problem requires computing the impulse response for a linear, time-invariant system with the given transfer function. The solution involves using partial fraction decomposition and the inverse z-transform. The irreducible quadratic function z^2+5 can be solved by incorporating complex numbers.
yoran

Homework Statement

Given the transfer function of a linear, time-invariant system
[tex]H(z)=\frac{z^2+5z}{z^2+5}[/tex]
compute the impulse response.

Homework Equations

We are supposed to compute the inverse z-transform with partial fraction decomposition but the problem here is the irreducible quadratic function [tex]z^2+5[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

In our table of inverse z-transforms they are only functions of the the type
[tex]\frac{z^{m+1}}{(z-a)^{m+1}}[/tex]
I tried this.
[tex]H(z)=\frac{z^2+5z}{z^2+5}=\frac{z^2}{z^2+5}+5\frac{z}{z^2+5}[/tex]
I can compute the inverse z-transform of [tex]\frac{z^2}{z^2+5}[/tex] just fine, but how do I compute the inverse z-transform of [tex]\frac{z}{z^2+5}[/tex]

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not irreducible. [itex]z^2+5=(z-\sqrt{5}i)(z+\sqrt{5}i)[/itex]. Complex numbers are an important part of z transforms.

Last edited:
Ok thank you now I think I can solve it.

1. What is a transfer function and how is it related to impulse response?

A transfer function is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input and output of a system. It describes how the system responds to different input signals. The impulse response is the output of a system when an impulse (a short duration signal) is applied as the input. The transfer function and impulse response are related through the Fourier transform, with the impulse response being the inverse Fourier transform of the transfer function.

2. How is the transfer function to impulse response conversion useful in scientific research?

The transfer function to impulse response conversion is useful in scientific research as it allows for the analysis and characterization of systems in terms of their response to different input signals. This can help in understanding the behavior of complex systems and in predicting their response to different stimuli. It is also commonly used in signal processing and control engineering.

3. Can any transfer function be converted to an impulse response?

Yes, any transfer function can be converted to an impulse response as long as it is a linear time-invariant system. This means that the system's response to an input signal is only dependent on the characteristics of the system and not on the specific time at which the input is applied.

4. Are there any limitations to the transfer function to impulse response conversion?

One limitation of the transfer function to impulse response conversion is that it assumes the system is linear and time-invariant. In reality, many systems exhibit non-linear and time-varying behavior, which cannot be accurately represented by a transfer function. Additionally, the conversion process may be more complex for systems with multiple inputs or outputs.

5. Are there any software tools available for converting transfer functions to impulse responses?

Yes, there are many software tools available for converting transfer functions to impulse responses. Some popular options include MATLAB, Mathematica, and Python's Scipy library. These tools allow for easy and accurate conversion of transfer functions to impulse responses, making it a useful tool for scientists and engineers.