Creating Visible Inert Gases

• Thread starter sshragg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gases
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating "visible" inert gases and the definition of what constitutes a gas. It is mentioned that running an electric current through a gas can make it visible, as seen in neon signs. The user is seeking a safe gas that looks like smoke and is relatively easy and cheap to generate. It is suggested that a mixture of glycol and icing sugar can be used, but it is not truly inert. The user clarifies that they plan to use the gas in a sealed environment and asks if it is "dry," meaning it would not fog up glass. The conversation concludes with the suggestion of using vented CO2 for a safe and visually appealing fog effect.
sshragg
Creating "Visible" Inert Gases

Please understand this this question is coming from a completely ignorant user who is just starting his research into an area he knows absolutely nothing about. Given that, my question(s) may make no sense at all to an educated set of people. Thank you.

Is there a way to create inert gases (or noble gases) that you can see? Meaning, can I generate a "safe" gas in a controlled environment using basic tools and equipment by applying techniques that will make that gas visible?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Sshragg.
As far as I know, the only way to accomplish that would be to run an electric current through it. That's basically how neon signs work.

Creating "Visible" Inert Gases

Thank you. I think I may be limiting myself to inert gases. I'm trying to find out if there are any "safe" gases that look like and have the same characteristics as smoke (i.e. moves and dissipates the same), that is relatively easy and cheap to generate.

In that case, we need to know what you mean by 'safe'. Party or disco type smoke machines use a mixture of glycol and icing sugar. It's safe to inhale, as long as one doesn't have allergies. (My wife passed out from it, and she's in good health. I have emphysema, and it didn't bother me at all.)
It definitely is not 'inert', though.
Maybe one thing that you're misinterpreting is the definition of a 'gas'. Any smoke-like situation involves solid particles that you can see suspended in air that you can't.

Last edited:
Thanks again. I think you have me going in the right direction. I plan on using it in a sealed environment, so "safe" is relative. I think I just so if some gets out, it doesn't seriously mame anyone.

Do you know if that type of smoke is "dry"? Meaning that if it was enclosed in glass it wouldn't fog it up?

I really don't know about the 'dry' aspect; it doesn't cling to furniture or windows in a party environment.
Another thing that comes to mind, though, if you want absolute safety and you don't need long 'hang time' is to use vented CO2. It dissipates and settles rapidly, but it gives a really awesome fog effect while it's active. What you see are dry-ice crystals before they sublimate.

1. What are inert gases?

Inert gases, also known as noble gases, are a group of chemical elements in the periodic table that have a full outer shell of electrons, making them stable and unreactive with other elements.

2. How are visible inert gases created?

Visible inert gases can be created by passing an electric current through a tube filled with the gas. This causes the gas to produce light, making it visible to the human eye.

3. What are the properties of visible inert gases?

Visible inert gases have low melting and boiling points, are colorless, odorless, and tasteless. They are also non-toxic and do not support combustion, making them safe to use in various applications.

4. What are some uses for visible inert gases?

Visible inert gases have many practical applications, including being used in neon signs, fluorescent lights, and as a shielding gas in welding. They are also used in the production of semiconductors and as a coolant in nuclear reactors.

5. Can visible inert gases be harmful to humans?

No, visible inert gases are generally considered safe for humans as they are non-toxic and do not react with other elements. However, as with any gas, it is important to handle and use them properly to avoid any potential hazards.