Library item: Mathematical Induction reported

In summary, Hoot is unable to edit the breakdown for the Mathematical Induction article, and Tiny Tim has edited it for him.
[SOLVED] Library item: Mathematical Induction reported

The following item was reported by tiny-tim : Click here. He has given the following reason:
Hi! Could this be transferred to Mathematics - Foundations - Theorem Proving.

The creator, rohanprabhu, seems to aprrove. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I couldn't!

Under Mathematics, it gives me only two options: "Algebra" and "Select in the list".

Greg Bernhardt said:
Tiny Tim you should be able to edit the breakdown yourself :smile:

Yes Greg I still can't edit the breakdown. I think Hoot reported the same problem in another thread.

I've edited the breakdown.

What you need to do is click on edit then, if it's a maths article, say, select "physics" let it reset the menus, then click again and select "mathematics." You will then have all the categories available.

This is probably a bug, but at least there's a short term fix!

cristo said:
I've edited the breakdown.

What you need to do is click on edit then, if it's a maths article, say, select "physics" let it reset the menus, then click again and select "mathematics." You will then have all the categories available.

This is probably a bug, but at least there's a short term fix!

I had been trying that cristo but no luck so hopefully Greg has fixed it. I'll give it a go for the zeroth law entry.

EDIT: nope still nothing. Must just be mentors that can edit that.

Kurdt said:
I had been trying that cristo but no luck so hopefully Greg has fixed it. I'll give it a go for the zeroth law entry.

EDIT: nope still nothing. Must just be mentors that can edit that.

Yea I guess so.. I've put the Zeroth Law in the right category. Hopefully Greg will be looking into making this privilege available for all SA/HH.

Last edited:

1. What is mathematical induction?

Mathematical induction is a proof technique used to show that a statement is true for all natural numbers. It involves proving that the statement is true for the first natural number, and then showing that if the statement is true for a specific natural number, it is also true for the next natural number. This process is repeated until the statement is proven to be true for all natural numbers.

2. Why is mathematical induction important?

Mathematical induction is important because it allows us to prove statements that are true for an infinite number of cases. It is a powerful tool in mathematics and is used in various areas such as number theory, combinatorics, and computer science.

3. How do you use mathematical induction?

To use mathematical induction, you first need to prove that the statement is true for the first natural number. Then, you assume that the statement is true for a specific natural number, and use this assumption to prove that the statement is also true for the next natural number. This process is repeated until the statement is proven to be true for all natural numbers.

4. What are the steps of mathematical induction?

The steps of mathematical induction are as follows:

1. Prove that the statement is true for the first natural number.
  2. Assume that the statement is true for a specific natural number, usually denoted as k.
  3. Use this assumption to prove that the statement is also true for the next natural number, which is k+1.
  4. Repeat this process until the statement is proven to be true for all natural numbers.

5. Can mathematical induction be used to prove all statements?

No, mathematical induction can only be used to prove statements that are true for all natural numbers. It cannot be used to prove statements that are only true for a finite number of cases or for real numbers. It is also important to note that mathematical induction is a proof technique, not a method of finding solutions to problems.