Calculating Pressure & Work in a Piston-Cylinder Assembly

In summary, the problem involves a horizontally oriented piston-cylinder assembly containing warm air that cools slowly from an initial volume of 0.003m^3 to a final volume of 0.002m^3. The spring exerts a varying linear force from 900N to 0N, with an atmospheric pressure of 100kPa and a piston face area of 0.018m^2. Neglecting friction, the initial and final pressures of the air are found to be 150kPa and 100kPa respectively. The work done is calculated by finding the distance traveled (determined by dividing volume by area) and multiplying it by the average force of 450N, resulting in a work done
krnhseya

Homework Statement

Warm air is contained in a piston-cylinder assembly oriented horizontally. The air cools slowly from an initial volume of 0.003m^3 to a final volume of 0.002m^3. During the process, the spring exerts a force that varies linearly from an initial value of 900N to a final value of zero. The atmospheric pressure is 100kPa, and the area of the piston face is 0.018m^2. Friction is neglected between piston and cylinder. For the air, determine the initial and final pressures and work.

Homework Equations

Pressure x Area = Force

Work = [tex]\int[/tex] p dV

The Attempt at a Solution

Initial Pressure of Air x Area = Atmospheric Pressure x Area + Spring Force
Initial Pressure of Air x 0.018m^2 = (100x10^3Pa x 0.018m^2) + 900N
Initial Pressure of Air = 150kPa

Final Pressure of Air x Area = Atmospheric Pressure x Area
Final Pressure of Air = Atmospheric Pressure
Final Pressure of Air = 100kPa

Work = [tex]\int[/tex] p dV

Volume is changing from 0.003m^3 to 0.002m^3, which can be used as an interval of this integration. I am not sure about how I should use pressure to calculate the work.

Also, I am not really sure if I got those pressures correctly.
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics tip - don't do the maths until you understand the problem.
If you can solve the problem with simple maths do so.

Pressure - at the start the pressure is atmopshere+spring, at the end it is just atmosphere
Work - work is force*distance. Since the force is varying linearly you don't need to integrate just use the average/mid point force

mgb_phys said:
Physics tip - don't do the maths until you understand the problem.
If you can solve the problem with simple maths do so.

Pressure - at the start the pressure is atmopshere+spring, at the end it is just atmosphere
Work - work is force*distance. Since the force is varying linearly you don't need to integrate just use the average/mid point force

Did I do it wrong? I thought those calculations for pressure were quite simple...?

Well for the work part, here's what I did.

Since the area for both initial and final are constant, find the distance traveled by dividing volume by area. (Initial Volume/Area and Final Volume/Area)
Once I get those, subtrace one to another to final the distance travelled.
Then like you mentioned earlier, average force (450N) times the distance that I got to find the work done, which is 25J or 0.03kJ)

Sounds correct

mgb_phys said:
Sounds correct

Thank you very much. Have a great day! :)

1. What is the formula for calculating pressure in a piston-cylinder assembly?

The formula for calculating pressure in a piston-cylinder assembly is P = F/A, where P is the pressure in Pascals (Pa), F is the force applied to the piston in Newtons (N), and A is the cross-sectional area of the piston in square meters (m^2).

2. How do you calculate work in a piston-cylinder assembly?

The formula for calculating work in a piston-cylinder assembly is W = PΔV, where W is the work done in Joules (J), P is the pressure in Pascals (Pa), and ΔV is the change in volume of the gas in the cylinder in cubic meters (m^3).

3. What is the ideal gas law and how is it used to calculate pressure and work in a piston-cylinder assembly?

The ideal gas law is PV = nRT, where P is the pressure in Pascals (Pa), V is the volume in cubic meters (m^3), n is the number of moles of gas, R is the ideal gas constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin (K). This law can be used to calculate pressure and work in a piston-cylinder assembly by solving for P or V and plugging the values into the appropriate formula.

4. How does volume affect pressure in a piston-cylinder assembly?

In a piston-cylinder assembly, the pressure of a gas is directly proportional to its volume. This means that as the volume decreases, the pressure increases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by Boyle's Law, which states that P1V1 = P2V2, where P1 and V1 are the initial pressure and volume, and P2 and V2 are the final pressure and volume.

5. Can you calculate pressure and work in a piston-cylinder assembly without knowing the gas' temperature?

No, it is not possible to calculate pressure and work in a piston-cylinder assembly without knowing the gas' temperature. This is because temperature is a crucial component of the ideal gas law and affects the pressure and volume of a gas in the assembly. Without knowing the temperature, the calculations would not be accurate.