Help with Elasticity Questions | girlInterrupt

• Thread starter girlinterrupt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Elasticity
In summary, the conversation revolved around a question on elasticity and the properties of DNA. The participants discussed the calculations for the change in length and elastic energy of a stretched DNA strand, as well as the change in length if the strand was folded in half. The solution provided by one participant was found to be correct, with the only correction being the units for the spring constant.
girlinterrupt
Hi, I need some help regarding an elasticity question I am attempting.

I have done the first two questions and need someone to check over what I've done.

I also need some direction on how to attempt part c, as I'm feeling a bit clueless on where to begin tackling this.

Homework Statement

Q. The elastic properties of DNA mean that it can be stretched, bent and twisted into different shapes which affect how DNA binds to other molecules. If we have a strand of DNA 580nm long with an spring constant of 3.6×10−17N/nm and apply a stretching force of 1.8 × 10−16N then calculate the following:

a) The change in length of the DNA strand.

b) The amount of elastic energy that is contained in the stretched strand of DNA.

c) The change in length of the DNA strand if it were folded in half when the force was applied (i.e. an equivalent piece of DNA with half the length but twice the cross-sectional area of the first strand).

What is known:
F = 1.8 X 10^-16
k = 3.6 X 10-17 N/nm = to meters: 3.6 x 10-8 N/m
L = 580nm = 5 x 10^-7m

Homework Equations

a) Change in L = F/K
b) U = kx^2 / 2
c) Not sure!

The Attempt at a Solution

a)

Change in L = F/K
= (1.8 x 10^-16) / (3.6 x 10 -8)
= 5 x 10-9
which is equivalent to: 5nm

b)

U = kx^2 / 2
= 3.6 x 10 -8 x (5 x 10-9)^2 / 2
= 4.5 x 10-25

c)

I'm not sure how to work this out as the question has no reference to the area of the rod.. do I need to work out the area first.. any help is appreciated!

Thanks!
girlInterrupt

Physics news on Phys.org
I've just had a go at part c, see if this makes sense...

Note: for simplicity sake, k1, L1 and A1 refer to the original values in the equations and k2, L2 and A2 refer to part c where the length of DNA is folded in half.

My Solution:

k1 = AY/L

Therefore:
k2 = A2Y / L2

= 2 x A1 Y / (1/2) L1

= 4 X A1 Y / L1

= 4k1

= 4 x 3.6 x 10^-8
= 1.44 x 10^-7

So a change in length with the original force will equal:

= F / k
= (1.8 x 10^-16) / (1.44 x 10^-7)
= 1.25 x 10 ^-9

Does that look right?

Thanks,
girlInterrupt

I didn't check your numbers, but your solution is correct. The only correction is that K = AE/L, where E is the elasticity modulus of the material in units of force per length squared, which gives you the proper units of K in units of force/length. But since E is common to both cases, you don't need to know it. The folded strand is 4 times stiffer than the unfolded strand, and therefore its stretch is 4 times less. Good work!

1. What is elasticity and why is it important?

Elasticity is a measure of how responsive a variable is to changes in another variable. In economics, it specifically refers to the responsiveness of quantity demanded or supplied to changes in price. It is important because it helps us understand how changes in price affect the behavior of consumers and producers, and therefore, how markets function.

2. What factors affect the elasticity of demand?

The main factors that affect the elasticity of demand are the availability of substitutes, the proportion of income spent on the good, and the necessity of the good. Goods with readily available substitutes, that make up a large portion of a consumer's income, and are considered non-essential, tend to have more elastic demand.

3. How is elasticity calculated?

Elasticity is calculated as the percentage change in quantity divided by the percentage change in price. This is known as the price elasticity of demand. Mathematically, it can be expressed as: (Q2-Q1)/[(Q1+Q2)/2] / (P2-P1)/[(P1+P2)/2], where Q1 and Q2 are the initial and final quantities, and P1 and P2 are the initial and final prices.

4. What does it mean if a good has an elasticity of 1?

If a good has an elasticity of 1, it is considered to have unit elasticity. This means that the percentage change in quantity demanded is exactly equal to the percentage change in price. In other words, the demand for the good is perfectly responsive to changes in price.

5. How does elasticity affect pricing and revenue?

Elasticity plays a crucial role in pricing decisions and revenue for businesses. A good with elastic demand means that consumers are very sensitive to changes in price, and a small increase in price can lead to a significant decrease in quantity demanded. In this case, businesses must be careful not to raise prices too much as it can result in a loss of revenue. On the other hand, a good with inelastic demand means that consumers are not very sensitive to changes in price, and a price increase may not significantly affect the quantity demanded. In this case, businesses can increase prices without a significant impact on revenue.