Relativity Questions: Impossible Processes Explained

• Thread starter Annieo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relativity
In summary, the conversation is about the difficulty of understanding questions related to conservation of energy and momentum. The speaker expresses the need for help and shares three specific processes that are considered impossible: a single photon giving all its energy to a stationary electron, a single photon transforming into an electron and a positron, and a fast positron and stationary electron annihilating to produce only one photon. The speaker also mentions having other questions related to conservation of energy and momentum and suggests following forum rules by keeping posts short and asking only one question with an attempt at solving it. The hint given is to look up 'four momentum' and work out the implications of conservation of momentum and energy for each of the three processes, which ultimately show that they cannot be possible
Annieo
For some reason (most likely lack of coffee and sleep), I can't figure out these questions. I assume they all have to do with conservation of energy and/or momentum, but I'm lame and need help.

Explain clearly why the following processes are impossible.
1) A single photon strikes a stationary electron and gives up all its energy to the electron.

2)A single photon in free space is transformed into an electron and a positron.

3) A fast positron and a stationary electron annihilate, producing only one photon.

I also have a million other questions, but I'll keep my first post short.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should keep the post about the same size, but ask only one question and give us an attempt at trying to solve it (as per the forum rules). Hint: yes, they have to do with conservation of energy/momentum. Try looking up 'four momentum'.

Work out for each of those three what conservation of momentum AND conservation of energy [or equivalently, conservation of 4-momentum] would imply. You should find there is no way to satisfy both.

1. What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity is a major scientific theory proposed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It consists of two parts: the special theory of relativity and the general theory of relativity. The special theory of relativity deals with the laws of physics in inertial frames of reference, while the general theory of relativity deals with the laws of physics in all frames of reference, including accelerating ones.

2. How does the theory of relativity explain impossible processes?

The theory of relativity explains impossible processes by showing that they are not actually impossible, but rather just impossible under our current understanding of space and time. The theory states that space and time are not absolute, but are relative to the observer's frame of reference. This means that what may seem impossible in one frame of reference, may be possible in another frame of reference.

3. Can you provide an example of an impossible process explained by relativity?

One example is the phenomenon of time dilation, where time appears to pass slower for objects that are moving at high speeds relative to an observer. This means that an astronaut traveling at near the speed of light would experience time passing slower for them, and upon their return to Earth, they would have aged less compared to people on Earth.

4. How does the theory of relativity impact our understanding of the universe?

The theory of relativity has greatly impacted our understanding of the universe by changing our understanding of space and time. It has revolutionized our understanding of gravity, black holes, and the expansion of the universe. It also plays a crucial role in modern technologies such as GPS, which relies on the precise measurement of time and space.

5. Is the theory of relativity accepted by the scientific community?

Yes, the theory of relativity is widely accepted by the scientific community and has been extensively tested and confirmed through various experiments and observations. It has also been incorporated into other areas of physics, such as quantum mechanics, to create a more comprehensive understanding of the universe.