GCE A Level Exams: An American School Student's Questions

• Testing
  • Thread starter InSpiRatioNy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    A level Exams
In summary: For stats, I'd recommend using a self-study book like 'Statistics for Business and Economics' by Gareth Morgan.
InSpiRatioNy
I am an American international school student , next year I'm going to take AP exams 2009 (Physics, Math, and English), and I also want to try out the GCE A level, 2009. I am confused by the AS and A2 exams, if I want to get the A level qualification, do I need to take both exams?

Also, there are two examination bodies provided by CIE and Edexcel, are the format of the exam the same? And which exam body is easily accepted when the result is used to apply for a university?

Please forgive if I'm asking stupid question, I really have no knowladge about the GCE exam, feel free to educate me if you wish.

Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you have to take both AS and A2. A2 requires that you already have an AS qualification in the same subject. CIE and Edexcel are approximately equivalent. Both are well recognised.

I've heard that CIE papers are more difficult. I took the CIE myself and didn't find it too bad. Edexcel makes up for being easier by giving you more options including options of doing more than the usual.

A warning though: A levels might be more difficult than AP exams in terms of the problems given. This is problem especially true for further maths.

PhysicalAnomaly said:
Yes, you have to take both AS and A2. A2 requires that you already have an AS qualification in the same subject. CIE and Edexcel are approximately equivalent. Both are well recognised.

I've heard that CIE papers are more difficult. I took the CIE myself and didn't find it too bad. Edexcel makes up for being easier by giving you more options including options of doing more than the usual.

A warning though: A levels might be more difficult than AP exams in terms of the problems given. This is problem especially true for further maths.

I'm a little confused as to what you mean by "Edexcel makes up for being easier by giving you more options including options of doing more than the usual."

Well, I only took some science subjects with CIE so I'm not really sure how flexible it is. What happens is that you have modules that you can pick and resit if you're not happy with your mark instead of retaking the whole AS or A2 round. Especially with maths where they break it up into... 18(?) modules.

Oh and I think you also get the option of taking Salter's chemistry.

PhysicalAnomaly said:
Well, I only took some science subjects with CIE so I'm not really sure how flexible it is. What happens is that you have modules that you can pick and resit if you're not happy with your mark instead of retaking the whole AS or A2 round. Especially with maths where they break it up into... 18(?) modules.

Oh and I think you also get the option of taking Salter's chemistry.

Ah, I understand now.

Yeah, you get the option to resist modules, I have four in January - Bio, Chem, Phys, Maths.

I'd prefer one big exam at the end of the year to be honest.

Thank you for your reply.

I'm still quite confused with the GCE A level.
So do i have to register both AS and A2 level (pay two exam register fee) in order to get the A level certificate? Or do i just register for A level (pay 1 exam register fee) and then I can automatically sit for both AS and A2 exam because their papers are break down into modules.

I think i want to take maths , futher math, physic, statistics.
Also anyone has good suggestion about the those subject exam preparation books or revision book ?

Thank you very much.

You have to take AS and A2 papers separately I think, even if you apply for just the A level cert. A2 requires AS.

Statistics is part of maths. You get tonnes, don't worry. I took maths, further maths, physics, chemistry and thinking skills.

For maths and further maths, the OCR/CIE textbooks are very good. You can also look at MEI for more problems but if you can handle the OCR ones, it's probably enough. I'm guessing most of my aussie first year uni friends will fall apart if faced with them.

With physics and chem, I had notes from my teacher's lectures. But based on content, any first year uni text works - yes, it's as difficult as first year uni (at least conceptually anyway).

1. What are GCE A Level Exams?

GCE A Level Exams, also known as General Certificate of Education Advanced Level exams, are standardized tests taken by students in the United Kingdom and other countries to assess their knowledge and skills in specific subjects. They are typically taken by students in their final year of high school and are used for college admissions.

2. How do GCE A Level Exams differ from other standardized tests?

GCE A Level Exams are different from other standardized tests, such as the SAT or ACT, in that they are subject-specific and cover a wider range of material. Students typically take multiple A Level exams in different subjects, whereas the SAT or ACT cover a broad range of subjects in a single test.

3. Can American school students take GCE A Level Exams?

Yes, American school students can take GCE A Level Exams. However, they may need to enroll in a program or school that offers A Level courses, as these exams are not typically offered in American high schools. Additionally, students may need to travel to the UK or another country to take the exams in person.

4. What subjects are available for GCE A Level Exams?

There are a wide range of subjects available for GCE A Level Exams, including math, science, English, history, languages, and more. The exact subjects offered may vary depending on the school or program.

5. How are GCE A Level Exams graded?

GCE A Level Exams are graded on a scale from A* (highest) to E (lowest). Students must achieve a certain grade in order to pass the exam and receive credit. The specific passing grade may vary depending on the university or program the student is applying to.