Given a general solution, find the EDO

In summary, a general solution is an equation or set of equations that includes all possible solutions to a given problem. An EDO, or ordinary differential equation, is a mathematical equation that relates a function to its derivatives. To find the general solution to an EDO, you must first solve the equation by integrating it and then adjust the constant term to find specific solutions. This is important because it allows you to understand the behavior of a system and find specific solutions for different initial conditions. Common techniques for finding the general solution include separation of variables, substitution, and using specific formulas for certain types of equations. A strong understanding of calculus and differential equations is also helpful.
scarebyte
1. The problem statement

Given the general solution:
y==(2*c*e^(2x)) / (1+c*e^(2x))
find the EDO.

2. The attempt at a solution

Im tried isolate c*e^(2x), using implicit differentiation:

y + y*c*e^(2x)==2*c*e^(2x)
y'+y'*c*e^2x + 2*y*c*e^(2x)==2*2*c*e^(2x)
y'==c*e^(2x) * (4-y'-2y)
e^(2x) * c = y'/(4-y'-2*y)

Replacing in the general solution given in the problem statement i have this EDO:

y==[y'/(4-y'-2*y)]*(2-y)

But, in mathematica software when i use DSolve over this EDO to find the general solution, it gives a different one.

What's wrong?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
scarebyte said:
1. The problem statement

Given the general solution:
y==(2*c*e^(2x)) / (1+c*e^(2x))
find the EDO.

2. The attempt at a solution

Im tried isolate c*e^(2x), using implicit differentiation:

y + y*c*e^(2x)==2*c*e^(2x)
y'+y'*c*e^2x + 2*y*c*e^(2x)==2*2*c*e^(2x)
y'==c*e^(2x) * (4-y'-2y)
e^(2x) * c = y'/(4-y'-2*y)

Replacing in the general solution given in the problem statement i have this EDO:

y==[y'/(4-y'-2*y)]*(2-y)

But, in mathematica software when i use DSolve over this EDO to find the general solution, it gives a different one.

What's wrong?

Thanks!

There is nothing wrong. I suspect that DSolve is just giving a different, equivalent way of writing the solution.

1. What is a general solution?

A general solution is an equation or set of equations that includes all possible solutions to a given problem. It is not a specific solution but rather a formula or set of parameters that can be used to find all possible solutions.

2. What is an EDO?

An EDO, or ordinary differential equation, is a mathematical equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It describes how a function changes over time or in relation to other variables.

3. How do I find the general solution to an EDO?

To find the general solution to an EDO, you must first solve the equation by integrating it. This will result in a formula with a constant term, which represents the general solution. This constant can then be adjusted to find specific solutions for different initial conditions.

4. Why is finding the general solution important?

Finding the general solution allows you to understand the behavior of a system over time or in relation to other variables. It also allows you to find specific solutions for different initial conditions, which can be useful in real-world applications.

5. What are some common techniques for finding the general solution to an EDO?

Some common techniques for finding the general solution to an EDO include separation of variables, substitution, and using specific formulas for certain types of equations (e.g. linear or homogeneous equations). It is also helpful to have a strong understanding of calculus and differential equations in order to find the general solution.