Analytic Function Homework: Prove F is a Polynomial

• Thread starter takeuchi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, we want to show that an analytic function f is a polynomial if for all x in ℝ, there exists a N_{x} such that f^{(N_{x})}(x)=0. This can be proven by assuming f is not a polynomial and showing that it leads to a contradiction. Therefore, f must be a polynomial.
takeuchi

Homework Statement

Let f:ℝ→ℝ an analytic function,i.e, f ∈ C^{∞}(ℝ) and for all a∈ℝ we have that
f:∑[tex]\infty[/tex]0((f⁽ⁿ⁾(a))/(n!))(x-a)ⁿ.
Suppose that for all x in ℝ:∃N=N_{x}∈ℕ:f^{(N)}(x)=0.
Show that F is a polynomial

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that maybe the theorem of Baire's Categories is the key of exercise. So, I said:
Let A_{n}={x∈ℝ:f⁽ⁿ⁾(x)=0} and I want to show that for some n and for a uncountable x∈ℝ f⁽ⁿ⁾(x)=0...But I don't know how...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

First, let's define some terms for clarity:

- Analytic function: A function that can be represented by a power series in a certain interval.
- C^{∞}(ℝ): The set of functions that are infinitely differentiable in the real numbers.
- f⁽ⁿ⁾: The nth derivative of the function f.
- N_{x}: The value of N for a specific value of x.

Now, onto the solution:

To prove that f is a polynomial, we need to show that it can be represented as a finite sum of terms, each of which is a power of x. To do this, we will use the fact that for all x in ℝ, there exists a N_{x} such that f^{(N_{x})}(x)=0.

Let's assume that f is not a polynomial. This means that f cannot be represented as a finite sum of terms, each of which is a power of x. This also means that there must exist an x for which the nth derivative of f is non-zero, for all n∈ℕ. However, this contradicts the given condition that for all x in ℝ, there exists a N_{x} such that f^{(N_{x})}(x)=0.

Therefore, our assumption that f is not a polynomial must be false. This means that f is indeed a polynomial, as desired.

1. What is an analytic function?

An analytic function is a mathematical function that can be represented by a power series expansion in a neighborhood of each point in its domain. In simpler terms, it is a function that is smooth and well-behaved everywhere in its domain.

2. How do you prove that a function is a polynomial?

To prove that a function is a polynomial, you need to show that it can be written in the form of a polynomial, which is a function of the form f(x) = anxn + an-1xn-1 + ... + a1x + a0, where an, an-1, ..., a1, a0 are constants and n is a non-negative integer.

3. What are the conditions for a function to be an analytic function?

In order for a function to be an analytic function, it must be infinitely differentiable (i.e. have derivatives of all orders) in its domain and its power series expansion must converge to the function for all points in its domain.

4. Can all polynomials be considered as analytic functions?

Yes, all polynomials can be considered as analytic functions since they can be written in the form of a power series expansion and are infinitely differentiable in their domain.

5. How do you prove that an analytic function is a polynomial?

To prove that an analytic function is a polynomial, you need to show that its power series expansion only has non-zero coefficients up to a certain degree (n) and all higher degree coefficients are equal to zero. This would prove that the function can be written in the form of a polynomial with degree n.