Can we see our own galaxy out there due to gravitational effects?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of seeing our own Milky Way galaxy out in space due to gravitational effects. It is mentioned that while gravity can cause light to take different paths and result in multiple images of other galaxies, there is not enough mass to turn light completely around and view our own galaxy. The conversation also touches on the concept of gravitational lensing and how it can result in images of other galaxies from different moments in time. The image shared by one person shows multiple images of the same galaxy, likely due to a cluster of galaxies acting as a gravitational lens. The conversation also briefly mentions the possibility of light orbiting a black hole and the concept of using gravity to travel in the opposite direction. It is stated that this is possible
NWH
This is a bit of a dumb question, so I apologise for the bluntness, but I was wondering. Can we see our own Milky Way out there in space due to gravitational effects? I understand that gravity allows us to view single galaxies in duplicate positions across the sky, it made me question whether we can see our own galaxy out there somewhere due to similar effects.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
NWH said:
This is a bit of a dumb question, so I apologise for the bluntness, but I was wondering. Can we see our own Milky Way out there in space due to gravitational effects? I understand that gravity allows us to view single galaxies in duplicate positions across the sky, it made me question whether we can see our own galaxy out there somewhere due to similar effects.

No.

You can get gravitational lensing resulting in light taking very slightly different paths over enormous distances, as it is curved by passing around a large cluster of galaxies, and this results in multiple images of other galaxies far behind the cluster. But there's not enough mass to turn light right around.

Here's a Hubble photo showing multiple images of the same galaxy.
148928main_image_feature_575_ys_4.jpg

(source; Hubble Captures A "Five-Star" Rated Gravitational Lens, NASA)

Yeah, I figured the answer would be blunt, thanks. So, these duplicate galaxies we're viewing, are they from precicely the same moment time? Or are we viewing the galaxies from different moments in time?

In that picture you posted, what is the body which is bending the light? Is it visible in this picture?

NWH said:
Yeah, I figured the answer would be blunt, thanks. So, these duplicate galaxies we're viewing, are they from precicely the same moment time? Or are we viewing the galaxies from different moments in time?

In that picture you posted, what is the body which is bending the light? Is it visible in this picture?

Images are from different times, depending on how long light took on that particular path.

To get an effect like this, you need a whole cluster of galaxies, not a single body. I think that the other galaxies you see in the image are part of that cluster.

How would you know if you were looking at a distant version of the MW? I seriously doubt that is possible, but, how would you know?

From what I have read on other forums, it is possible for light to orbit a black hole.
If this is the case, is it also possible for light to travel in the opposite direction in the same way that Apollo 13 used the Moon's gravity to return to Earth?
Of course the odds would be astronomically small of this happening, but isn't this still possible?

1. Can we see our own galaxy from Earth?

No, we cannot see our own galaxy from Earth because we are inside of it. We can only see other galaxies from Earth.

2. Why can't we see our own galaxy due to gravitational effects?

Gravitational effects do not impact our ability to see our own galaxy. The reason we cannot see it is because we are inside of it, and our view is obstructed by the vast number of stars and gas and dust clouds.

3. Is it possible to see our own galaxy from space?

Yes, it is possible to see our own galaxy from space. In fact, astronauts on the International Space Station have a clear view of the Milky Way galaxy.

4. Can we see other galaxies due to our own galaxy's gravitational pull?

Yes, we can see other galaxies due to our own galaxy's gravitational pull. The gravity of our own galaxy can distort the light from other galaxies, making them appear larger and brighter than they actually are.

5. How do scientists study our own galaxy if we cannot see it from outside?

Scientists study our own galaxy using various methods, such as observing other galaxies that are similar to ours, studying the composition and movements of stars and gas within our galaxy, and using computer simulations to model the structure of our galaxy. They also use instruments such as radio telescopes and infrared cameras to study different aspects of our galaxy that are not visible to the naked eye.